Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-15-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
One consideration. I do not install locks on the doors, just the baggage compartment. My thought is that if someone wants to steal the avionics, he will do it one way or another. A door lock might translate to a broken door and a lot of work. The avionics will be gone anyway - and covered by insurance.

If parked on the ramp the canopy cover is on it so the “people just looking” aspect is not there.

Carl
To each their own I suppose. If I follow this thought process, I'd never lock my car or my house...
RV10 - #41673
http://n688cd.wordpress.com
N688CD Reserved
1980 Piper Archer II
2018 Dues Paid
Old 04-15-2018, 04:42 PM

I installed door locks because they make me feel better. Someone might open a door to grab a headset, but they might not hammer out the window to get it. On top of that the low profile door handles I bought from Aerosport have a nice place for a door lock.
Donated for 2018
Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post
Mark - I had the same question and wound up ordering the wrong size. Here is what i ultimately ordered and they fit perfectly... 5/8"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In looking at the reviews of the locks at the above URL, several buyers complain that you can only remove the key when in the locked position. I don't see this working on the RV-10 doors, as you can't lock/unlock the doors from the inside. So if you unlock them to get in, how are you going to get the key out before flight?

While I like the idea of the higher security keys, I think I'll stick with the locks that came with my starter switch.

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid
Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
One consideration. I do not install locks on the doors, just the baggage compartment. My thought is that if someone wants to steal the avionics, he will do it one way or another. A door lock might translate to a broken door and a lot of work. The avionics will be gone anyway - and covered by insurance.
Carl
Have you confirmed that your insurance company will cover avionics in an aircraft that does not have any means of locking the doors?
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 04-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Have you confirmed that your insurance company will cover avionics in an aircraft that does not have any means of locking the doors?
Unless they ask about it or list it as an exclusion, there's no way for them to deny a claim.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 04-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I am sad to post this. But in this day and age, my concern is with some moronic kid getting into the plane, hot wiring it, then killing himself and probably an equally clueless friend. Then, his parents will sue me, claiming I left an attractive nuicense (sp?) unguarded. This happens all the time with swimming pools. If I can point to a forced lock, at least I can claim I was proactive.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMA View Post
In looking at the reviews of the locks at the above URL, several buyers complain that you can only remove the key when in the locked position. I don't see this working on the RV-10 doors, as you can't lock/unlock the doors from the inside. So if you unlock them to get in, how are you going to get the key out before flight?

While I like the idea of the higher security keys, I think I'll stick with the locks that came with my starter switch.
I also got the starter switch "package" all keyed the same. Basically, I'll have two keys on my keychain (fuel cap key and key for everything else). I intend on having the passenger side door lock from the inside (or not) when on the ground, parked.
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 04-16-2018, 12:39 PM

These are definitely not the perfect solution for everyone. But, on my personal RV-10 I wanted to design a locking handle that I could retrofit easily to my painted airplane without having to cut into the fiberglass.

This is what we came up with. It is not as sleek as the Aerosport flush handles, but it is CNC machined, powder coated, silkscreened and looks a LOT nicer than the stock handles and is able to be retrofit in about an hour to the aircraft.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv10%20door%20locks.html

I know everyone has their own personal opinion on locking/not locking the aircraft. Personally, if the aircraft is somewhere overnight, I lock it as well as utilize a canopy cover. But these prevent someone from easily opening a door and walking away with something.

Steve

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
Old 04-16-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMA View Post

I read the same thing so I still looking
N189PT- Christen Eagle II
N627DG (reserved)- RV10 in the making
www.marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com