Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-15-2018, 03:39 PM

Default Dynon Radio Interference

Hi guys,

Just installed a new COM Radio (Dynon SV ComPanel/V8.33), hooked up to the Dynon Skyview Touch System.

With the engine off, the reception is good but with the engine running there is a lot of interference. The aircraft is equipped with an electronic ignition. Could this interfere with the reception of VHF signals ? If so, what would be the fix ?
I have the impression that my transmissions are all received by ground stations.

Any input would be very welcome.
Thanks !
RV-9
PH-SCP

"Building an aircraft is the male equivalent to giving birth, it only involves more blood and pain "
Old 04-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Had exactly the same problem. Dynon support suggested adding extra chassis ground which I tried without any success. Next call to support I was informed that this is a known problem and a fix is in the works, they also authorized a return and cross shipped a replacement radio which has worked flawlessly.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:23 AM

You can try increasing the squelch in the SV setup. I had to do this after installing LED landing lights. Went from 50% to 74% to get the noise to go away. Planning to install shielded wires at some point to quiet the noise back down.

If adjusting squelch helps, it might point to some similar noise that you can locate by turning things off (e.g. alternator).
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 AM

Shielded ignition wires and resistor-type plugs should eliminate most of that.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 PM

I had this same problem with my system. Do yourself a favor and send it back to Dynon *if of course you have tried all the grounding and filtering advise. Dynon was amazing with customer service and replaced my unit twice. The first time it definitely improved but did not resolve the issue 100%. I called them back and stated exactly that. They sent me a second unit, with a higher serial number - not sure if it matters too much, and this second unit definitely took care of the problem. The radio now works flawlessly, no static, no interference, no issues!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH-SCP View Post
Hi guys,

Just installed a new COM Radio (Dynon SV ComPanel/V8.33), hooked up to the Dynon Skyview Touch System.

With the engine off, the reception is good but with the engine running there is a lot of interference. The aircraft is equipped with an electronic ignition. Could this interfere with the reception of VHF signals ? If so, what would be the fix ?
I have the impression that my transmissions are all received by ground stations.

Any input would be very welcome.
Thanks !

Last edited by Piloto506 : 04-18-2018 at 12:49 PM.