Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-12-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviti View Post
While I certainly donít mind reading reports on here about competitive options, I donít have any regrets having recently started my RV 12 project. While this aircraft certainly looks nice, I donít see that the potential advantages outweigh the potential disadvantages. This is just my opinion and I respect others who have a different opinion.

As far as being able to get an SLSA sooner than the RV 12is, if thatís your number one criteria then move forward. But if you plan to own the aircraft for a while, you have to be taking some risk there with Vans vs the competition in regards to long term support. Again, the support from other manufacturers may be outstanding and I hope it is. But for me there is no question what kind of support youíll get from Vans. Iíve already had technical questions and needed to order replacement parts that I messed up and the response has been second to none.

Donít get me wrong, I love seeing options and I considered many others when I was doing my research. As someone else said, competition is good. But I am still glad I chose the RV 12 for my project.
The long term support is of upmost importance.
Enjoy the build, Tony.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviti View Post
While I certainly donít mind reading reports on here about competitive options, I donít have any regrets having recently started my RV 12 project. While this aircraft certainly looks nice, I donít see that the potential advantages outweigh the potential disadvantages. This is just my opinion and I respect others who have a different opinion.

As far as being able to get an SLSA sooner than the RV 12is, if thatís your number one criteria then move forward. But if you plan to own the aircraft for a while, you have to be taking some risk there with Vans vs the competition in regards to long term support. Again, the support from other manufacturers may be outstanding and I hope it is. But for me there is no question what kind of support youíll get from Vans. Iíve already had technical questions and needed to order replacement parts that I messed up and the response has been second to none.

Donít get me wrong, I love seeing options and I considered many others when I was doing my research. As someone else said, competition is good. But I am still glad I chose the RV 12 for my project.
After flying both, I found them to be dead even, as to handling. Being both are metal airplanes, a repair, god forbid, is easy to accomplish with either. The only issue Iíve noted, would be replacement down the road of canopy or windscreen. All other parts are readily available. Avionics are all Garmin, the engine ROTAX.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12JT View Post
After flying both, I found them to be dead even, as to handling.
What is your comparison on landings?
Does the Sling have stiff legs?
The RV-12 seems very forgiving. Would you say the same for the Sling?
What about brake performance? I believe both are equipped with Matco's, eh?
Old 04-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12JT View Post
After flying both, I found them to be dead even, as to handling. Being both are metal airplanes, a repair, god forbid, is easy to accomplish with either. The only issue Iíve noted, would be replacement down the road of canopy or windscreen. All other parts are readily available. Avionics are all Garmin, the engine ROTAX.
Firewalls and nose gears/mounts too!
Old 04-14-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftdown View Post
What is your comparison on landings?
Does the Sling have stiff legs?
The RV-12 seems very forgiving. Would you say the same for the Sling?
What about brake performance? I believe both are equipped with Matco's, eh?
Unlike Vanís, who only lets you fly it once airborne, I was permitted, actually encouraged, to take the plane off, fly it and land it. I was very fortunate to fly the demo with one of TAFís Directors, who has flown Slings around the world.

Back to landing the Sling, I landed unassisted, very slight crosswind, stable, an absolute joy to fly.

I followed thru on the controls of a -12, on a flight provided by Brent here on the forum, p iOS to my factory visit. So, I have some comparison. I felt the -12 was just as easy control wise in the landing phase.

Seriously, they are both great aircraft, I canít say or find a negative thing about either. Well, maybe, I always hated the -12ís spartan automotive fuse panel interior, but that ended with the iS cockpit. Every change I had in my head, Vanís implemented in the iS.