- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Default Best Advice

The best advice I got during the build was: if you want to fly your plane a lot when you finish it, look at people who are flying theirs a lot and do what they did.

The implication is that you avoid as many "modifications" as possible, recognizing that there are some great ones for the RV-10 that are well worth doing. But folks who get carried away with add ons run up their cost, their time to build, and frustration level.

Burt Rutan is famous for saying, "once you have all the essentials on your plane, if you want to add something, throw it up in the air. If it doesn't come down, you can add it."

The other thing I would tell you is, if you don't have any experience building then get some training. The more the better. It will save you years and many $$$ and greatly improve your chances of being a finisher instead of a seller.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 AM

There is a tailcone section for sale on Vans Classified right now in the Dallas area. Perhaps you could get a head start by purchasing that?
Elevators - In the Works!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Wow! What an awesome group I appreciate all the replies... I think I will try to speak to a couple builders (at least by email) and may even meet some if possible when I visit Houston in May to get a better idea of what I'm getting into...

I have a little background in building kits - I've built an ultima, which is a much simpler kit than a plane... but I do know that mods can stretch out timeframes like crazy (I built a custom 4 wheel lift kit to clear bumps/driveways and that added about 30 hrs to my build)...

Thanks again everyone!!