- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarvel View Post
Will take some photos of all this in a couple of days and hope I can send them to you for posting if that's OK. If not I guess I can try doing it myself but will take a bit to figure it out. I don't post often so this is a learning curve for me.
Sure, email them to me and I'll post them if others are interested in seeing them. I rarely post pictures as well, so every time I do it I've got to go figure it all out again. Sure wish VAF could make posting photos more straightforward like most other websites and message boards...
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 04-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
Sure, email them to me and I'll post them if others are interested in seeing them. I rarely post pictures as well, so every time I do it I've got to go figure it all out again. Sure wish VAF could make posting photos more straightforward like most other websites and message boards...
Sorry. Just assumed you knew how to post pix. Send me your email address and I'll get some off to you today. Then I'll play with the VAF test page myself and see if I can figure it out. It's about time I learned how to do this.

Where do you fly out of? IXD, OJC, Gardner, Miami County? Been to all of them.
RV-14A N465MM - 280 hours and climbing
Old 04-11-2018, 11:15 AM

Bill, Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I have a mere 56 hours on my RV-14a, and all of your input is extremely insightful and fascinating. Even though, I am well past Phase I, it still feels like I am doing a test flight on every flight, and I suppose that will continue until I get to your experience level, with the new airframe.
Greg Novotny
RV-14a N14ZP Vans 140209
first flight 7/19/17 KTIW
Old 04-11-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
Bill, I meant to ask about your internal covers for the cockpit area. I found early on with my -8A that the canopy cover would scratch the plexi especially when it's windy and the cover is moving around a bit. After that I hardly ever used it, and I would just throw some towels over the seats and panel to protect the interior from the sun when at Oshkosh. I'd like to make a better internal cover system for the -14 and have thought about how best to do this. Some airplanes I've seen tied down outside have custom reflective covers that velcro into the windows. How did you do yours? Pictures??

Thanks,
Hope this works as I've been playing with the test pages to see how to post photos. It is cumbersome at best. What you should see are 9 photos showing the three sections of the interior cockpit cover. They fold into about a 12 inch by 12 inch stack an inch thick when stored. No velcro is used; attachment is by button snaps.

The U shaped cutouts on the aft side of the cover for the center part of the plane were originally intended to allow the shoulder harnesses to pass through to the front seats. But after we installed the covers we realized those harnesses should not be exposed to the sun more than necessary so we leave them laying on the baggage compartment floor. Suggest you do the same and not make the cutouts. You will also see how the tow bar comes through as well as how the PVC chocks are stowed in the lightening holes of the seat back supports.

My wife got the material at a Jo Ann's fabric shop but we don't know what it is called. It is much thicker than bed sheets and has sort of a smooth waxy texture to it. We used acrilan for the RV-8A cover but it wasn't available here. Anything white will do. The only drawback is that since it is inside, if you have any leaks in the forward edge of the canopy where it mates to the fuselage, you will have to make up some sort of temporary overnight cover if rain is expected. I still need to test this further but my plan is to use some white electric tape wherever I find any leaks

Old 04-11-2018, 04:34 PM

Looks like you got it figured out, thanks Bill!
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 04-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigAir View Post
Bill, Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I have a mere 56 hours on my RV-14a, and all of your input is extremely insightful and fascinating. Even though, I am well past Phase I, it still feels like I am doing a test flight on every flight, and I suppose that will continue until I get to your experience level, with the new airframe.
Greg Novotny
RV-14a N14ZP Vans 140209
first flight 7/19/17 KTIW
Glad you enjoyed it, Greg. To me the airplane itself flies like any other RV and is very docile and predictable. What I mentioned previously is that avionics peculiarities have slowed the learning curve for my situation. The flying parts of Phase I went just fine, especially since this was a typically well tested Van's design that does not make it into the field as a kit until ready. Hopefully the issues you are encountering are minor irritants and not major items like fuel flow interruptions or popped circuit breakers!

Be safe and enjoy the experience. This is my third (and probably last) homebuilt and each one has been a hoot.