VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 AM

Default GMU Today

After two weeks of miserable weather, we finally have a clear day in WNC. So three of us are meeting for lunch at the Runway Cafe at GMU at 11:30 AM. Anyone in the neighborhood is welcome to join in. (I understand that some SC organization is having a pancake breakfast there this morning, so hopefully that will be cleared out by the time we arrive.)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:52 AM

Default Brotherhood day

I just returned home last night from a month working in CA. Seems I brought a cold home to boot☹️. I would love to join y'all but today is not the day. There's also that new SB that needs attention. Please keep posting the meetings and I'll join up.
HOBBS @146
Old 02-18-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBRuth View Post
I brought a cold home to boot☹️.
Sorry about your cold. Darwin had to cancel today, too, due to having a cold so don't feel bad. In fact, Owen was the only RV guy that made it today. By pure luck, though, another Lancair happened to fly in from the Atlanta area and park next to me. We invited Andrew and his passenger Taylor to eat with Owen and I and we swapped lies about our true airspeeds for about an hour. Andrew is a corporate jet pilot and flies his Lancair for fun. Owen was commiserating over the SB as well, but the food at the Runway Cafe was good as always. They were really busy today since the weather was absolutely beautiful and everybody has been socked in for two weeks.

Taylor and Andrew from Atlanta:

Andrew, Me (kneeling), Taylor and Owen:

Last edited by snopercod : 02-18-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:27 PM

Default Grand Strand Today

Expanding our range, Darwin and I flew 1+30 From AVL to CRE (Grand Strand AKA North Myrtle Beach) today for some fresh seafood. Darwin left first and I never could catch him in my Lancair. I had him 10 miles in front on my ADS-B screen the entire trip. Those RV-4s are fast! Our ground speeds were roughly 170 Kts. After landing, we both bought gas and then took the courtesy car to Rockefellers Raw Bar for lunch. I burned 20 gallons out and back so this truly was a $100 lunch.

Full serve $5.25 per gallon at Grand Strand, but hey, we're rich playboys, right?

Dis be da place:

The decor is tacky beach bum - our kind of place!

Calimari!

Grouper sandwich!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:56 AM

Thought you said it was a raw bar......

Donated twice in 2017
Old 02-28-2018, 05:34 AM

It was, but I don't eat raw oysters any more after I learned about Hepatitis. I brought my wife some scallops sauteed in wine, butter, and garlic, though. Special Delivery!
Old 04-11-2018, 03:29 PM

It's been a long winter, but the weather is finally getting better. Owen, Steve, and I flew down to Spartanburg [KSPA] for lunch at Jason's Deli again. Darwin's RV-4 was down for maintenance, and Bill R. had to work (poor devil). One crew van was out, and the other was grounded for a mechanical problem, so the FBO loaned us their airport truck to drive to Jason's. I bought 18 gals. of 100LL, but the RVs both used Mogas.

The glare from Owen's freshly-polished RV-12 gave me a headache. He also finished his rear spar mod per the SB:

Steve has the Suburu engine. Who let that Mooney in the lineup???

Edit: I'd like to fly to Columbia [KCUB] next to check out the brewery in the old Wright hangar. They're only open weekends.

Last edited by snopercod : 04-11-2018 at 03:40 PM.