VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-09-2018, 09:19 PM

Default Mid Seat Rails

I was doing a bit of organizing preparing for Avionics install... I came across some long lost parts, the Mid Seat Rails support that you install outboard on top of the gear weldment.

Plans have you make them on Page 28-16 Step 1 and 2. States you set them aside until after the gear legs have been fitted and drilled. Well I did all that awhile back so I should probably go ahead and mount these, I can take a guess at the hardware but would rather see what the plans call for. Having problems finding that though... searched the Fuselage and Finishing PDFs... can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Donated for 2018

Last edited by AviatorJ : 04-09-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:07 AM

IIRC it's a missing step in the plans. Just grab some AN3 hardware and press.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-10-2018, 07:09 AM

Default AN3-3A with std washer

I just installed mine after finding them on shelf as well. It gave about 2 theads showing past nyloc. I installed mine with nut on top, much easier. Note I could not find in build manual as well, but didn't spend alot of time looking.
Whirlwind 375RV
Garmin G900X
Final assembly

Last edited by Electrogunner : 04-10-2018 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Added
Old 04-10-2018, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the reminder... I think mine are still sitting on a shelf as well.
I also found F-1043D-R/L sitting on my shelf. On pg 39-8, it says "When F-1043D-L/R are later installed...", but searching through the PDF, I don't see it called out anywhere else.
RV10 - #41673
http://n688cd.wordpress.com
N688CD Reserved
1980 Piper Archer II
2018 Dues Paid
Old 04-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post
Thanks for the reminder... I think mine are still sitting on a shelf as well.
I also found F-1043D-R/L sitting on my shelf. On pg 39-8, it says "When F-1043D-L/R are later installed...", but searching through the PDF, I don't see it called out anywhere else.
I think that's another missing step. I installed mine at the same time I installed a lot of the misc panels and covers that I had intentionally left off until I was ready to close everything up for good.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Figured it was just AN3's but wanted to be sure. Actually got the bolts and nuts on this morning, however tightening them is going to be a different beast all together. Might have to recruit my kids with their small hands.
Donated for 2018
Old 04-10-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
Figured it was just AN3's but wanted to be sure. Actually got the bolts and nuts on this morning, however tightening them is going to be a different beast all together. Might have to recruit my kids with their small hands.
Justin, thatís why I installed with nylocs up. I was able to get the tips of my fingers to install the bolt up. I was going through your awesome build site. Are you going with the std vans cowl?
Whirlwind 375RV
Garmin G900X
Final assembly
Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrogunner View Post
Justin, thatís why I installed with nylocs up. I was able to get the tips of my fingers to install the bolt up. I was going through your awesome build site. Are you going with the std vans cowl?
Yup this is with the nylocs up! I can't get the wrench underneath to hold the AN3. I've already recruited a friend to come by and with her small hands we should be able to get it done.

I am using a standard cowl, what a process it's been. My fault for doing so many mods but it's getting there. I sort of sidelined it to finish up the engine connections and some minor projects as well as start prepping the interior for Avionics which should be here in a month or so.

Glad to know people are looking at the site outside of family and friends!
Donated for 2018
Old 11-23-2018, 11:25 PM

I just finished this step and for the archives, I used AN3-4 bolts, a washer and lock nut.

They are some of the hardest bolts to get into place and tighten. I found it was best to put all each bolt in and only hand tighten the nut, then after all 4 are in place tighten them down for the final installation.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:49 PM

Default Very timely thread!

Great idea on the bottom-up approach. I don't see how you'd ever get the washers and nuts started on the bolts in the traditional top-down orientation.
Some of these are beyond the reach of even the slenderest fingertips, and groping with pliers is an exercise in frustration (tried that first). So - double-sticky tape on a tongue depressor is your friend when it comes to getting some of these in.

Leaving these loose till they're all in is a great tip, too. That allows you to cant the assembly to one side to lock the bolts in position one by one as you fit the washers and nuts on each without dropping it back through the hole.

For the holes near the forward edge of the gear tower, I found a magnet was helpful for extending my reach.

The hardest part of this task by far is tightening the bolts. It requires stubby wrenches, box ends ground down in thickness, and holding yourself in positions that are increasingly painful after more than a few moments (at my age, at least). I managed to get a socket wrench and a box end wrench both wedged into tight crevices and stuck onto the bolt heads so tightly it took a hammer to get them unstuck after the fasteners were snugged up. A trip to the grinder for more tool-thinning prevented a repeat of this snafu.

Budget about three hours for this handful of eight bolts. If it takes you less, you have my enduring respect - and you likely have some specialty tools I wish I'd known I was going to need today.

Also, plan on naproxen and a hot bath afterwards. Which coincidentally is where I'm headed. Too much fun for one day.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug