- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM

Default POS12 install with G3X and VP system in a 9

I am going through the same issues others have in this older post. I have tried 2 different mounting positions for the POS12 and I can either get the flaps to go about 25 degrees down and up tight or not all the way up and to about 30 degrees.

I believe it is the way I have mounted the POS12. Because the flap bar goes up on an arc, the travel is not uniform. I haven't been able to make it work successfully you. Anyone have pictures of how they mounted their POS12? I have seen a hinge used and a ramp. I tried both and still my system does not work properly. Once I get this done, I am ready for the DAR!
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 01-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Default Maybe

I seem to recall reading in a thread that you want the end points less than full travel. For some reason, 80% seems to be what I recall, leaving 10% on each end unused...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-11-2018, 04:10 PM

I will give that a try. I have been trying to get max travel and that may be a mistake. Making the travel uniform is harder than it should be - at least it has been for me!
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 PM

My POS12 is attached to the arm of the flap actuator as well. The arc of the arm doesn't matter sense the configuration settings in the G3X are for a voltage you set specific to your installation. As was said, don't try to use the full range of the POS12.
Flying
Old 04-05-2018, 09:54 AM

I just realised I may have made a mistake by not including in my RV7/G3X a GAD27 systems for flaps management: currently my G3X shows the position of the flaps, but I don't think it can be programmed to trigger an alarm (sound+message) if flaps are oversped, which I understand would be possible for sure with the GAD27: however, my G3X has already all the info necessary to create such an alarm function (i.e. flap position+IAS), so maybe it could be included in a next software relase (for G3xpert)??
Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I use a GRT, not Garmin, but perhaps this will help: I positioned the sensor between the flap torque tube and the aft bulkhead, with a small hinge, in such a way that the linear travel between -3 and 0 is maximized. I have had no issues.
Bob,

Are you able to share a picture? I'm interested to see your final configuration.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2018, 02:29 PM

sorry, can't see your picture (I think I'm not he only one to have pb with photobucket), can you describe in words please?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:59 PM

Its the dimensions that are important. A hinge is not needed, and the movement is quite linear over the arc desired. Use the 2" dimension, and the 30 degree angle to the vertical brace and it will be fine. Note I had several radii for the attachment if the stroke was too much.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 04-06-2018, 05:52 PM

Default Yeah, no...

That setup won’t work on the -10...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 04-09-2018, 07:06 AM

I'm the OP of this thread, and just saw that this topic is being discussed again. I thought I should update now that everything is working fine now.

I originally had my POS-12 mounted on a piano hinge mounted on the aft spar with the arm connected to a small bracket on an adel clamp. Others have done it this way, although the people I saw weren't using G3x system.
The piano hinge may or may not have been hindering the function of my position sensor. The reason I don't know, is because I later found out that it wasn't the root cause.

Here are some observations that may or may not have played a part in my situation:
  • The play in the hinge pin accounted for several mV of error and would never return to close to the pre-configured mV setting. (yes, the pos-12 was within its accurate range of travel)
  • At one point, I had configured the flaps to stop just shy of being fully retracted. This doesn't work because the flap motor will coast a small amount after power is cut from it.
  • I ended up relocating my POS-12 to a bracket just like Mike Starkey did that can be seen in this link. With this design, everything is solid with no play. This made a big difference, however, the flap switch still only worked about half the time on the ground, and never in flight. http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...highlight=flap
  • After several emails back & forth to Garmin, we discovered that I never entered a "Partial Flap Max Airspeed". I remembered seeing this during my initial configuration. I had a reason in my head at the time why I felt I should leave it blank, but now I can't remember. I also failed to see the note in the manual that stated that the value must be greater than the full flap airspeed. After entering a value in this field, my predetermined flap settings have worked ever since.

I'm sure the main issue all along was this simple mistake I made in the software configuration. The other changes I made may, or may not have mattered.

Hope this helps someone.

RV-10
-Flying!

Dues Paid 11/27/2017