VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-26-2018, 06:30 PM

Bishop,

Welcome to come to Tampa Exec in 2 weeks or my home in Brandon until then if you like
Old 03-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
CLW does not allow Phase 1 testing, last I heard. Hangars are also pricey.

Chris
I know the regs require you to identify to the tower that you are experimental, but how would they know what phase of testing you are in unless you tell them?
Old 03-27-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtw_rv6 View Post
I know the regs require you to identify to the tower that you are experimental, but how would they know what phase of testing you are in unless you tell them?
There isn't even a tower, so unless something triggered an investigation you'd probably get away with it. Then there'd be the issue of whether insurance would cover you.

But much more importantly, and possibly part of the reason they discourage or prohibit it is because, IMO, CLW is a terrible place to do flight testing. Single runway, in the middle of the most densely populated county in Florida. Industrial and residential areas at both ends. Also underneath a 3000' Class B shelf and the only way to get higher would be to go offshore over the gulf. You can't go even go a few miles east due to the class B and KPIE's class D.

There are a number of airports just a bit farther out that offer areas much more conducive to Phase 1 testing, so even if I had a choice, I wouldn't choose to do it at CLW - and I live a few blocks away from there.

Chris
Old 04-06-2018, 05:54 AM

Well it's official, my RV-10 now has a new home at KVDF -- Hangar 4601. I'll be moving her down around the 1st of June and look forward to meeting all my new neighbors!
WAR EAGLE!