VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-26-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Fuel tank install

Building RV-8A. In section 7 of the build instructions the paragraph on "Installing Leading Edge" says to install the fuel tank with half the Z-bracket bolts and every other screw. I have not found in the instructions when the remaining bolts and screws are installed. Is it required or likely that the tanks will have to be removed from the spar during later portions of the build? Why not install all the Z-bracket bolts while the bottom skin is off?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:22 AM

Default Tank install

I did. So far it hasn't been an issue. Wings have been mated and removed. You do need them I place to fit the root fairing. My bird is at Finishing Kit stage so take my advise for the $.02 it's worth.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 AM

I have done the same as Larry. Getting ready to haul the wings to the airport and will have to add the rest of the screws that I left out. I put all the bolts in during initial install.
paid 2018
Old 03-27-2018, 06:17 AM

Default US, too.

We made-up the wing and tanks as a unit and fitted everything with all the bolts in place. Have not had to take them back off anytime after that. So far no leaks, so all is good as we used a good amount of Proseal in putting them together. It is your call and I don't remember anything in the instructions saying to leave the bolts out, but our 8 was all jigged and not quick build.
Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 03-27-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Before bottom skin install

before I installed the bottom skin, I re torqued the fuel tank attach bolts, and torque stripped them all with the orange colored stuff. That way the inspector could look in the inspection holes and see the torque strip.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Extra dues paid 2018, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage started
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com