- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2018, 06:26 AM

Default Training

I strongly encourage transition training. I went from 10 yrs of flying a slow tailwheel plane to the 8. The 8 made me feel like I didn't have any tailwheel time at all. I did get it but it was tough at first. I had an instructor fly with me until I felt safe. my 2 cents.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:36 AM

Ok, take a big breath. You are in control of take off speed. It is called the throttle. In most small airplanes you are taught to smoothly, advance throttle and use rudder to balance torque, same with an RV.
No one has mentioned that you can take off as slow as a champ if you slowly push the throttle in. Think about it, 90HP vs 180 or so. SLOWLY advance the throttle, take 1500 feet if you need to, keep the plane straight with your feet, lift the tail when it is ready and fly off, slowly advancing the throttle for the whole time it takes to get into the air.
Slow the process down and everything seems ridiculously like a champ.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Martin : 03-22-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
Ok, take a big breath. You are in control of take off speed. It is called the throttle. In most small airplanes you are taught to smoothly, advance throttle and use rudder to balance torque, same with an RV.
No one has mentioned that you can take off as slow as a champ if you slowly push the throttle in. Think about it, 90HP vs 180 or so. SLOWLY advance the throttle, take 1500 feet if you need to, keep the plane straight with your feet, lift the tail when it is ready and fly off, slowly advancing the throttle for the whole time it takes to get into the air.
Slow the process down and everything seems ridiculously like a champ.
I guess that's one way of doing it but totally unnecessary!

Amazing the 'stigma' a conventional U/C plane such as an 8 seems to have, it's somewhat crazy, it's just another plane! I had only ever flown low powered conventional U/C planes then when I bought my 8 I felt right at home in it as it has a thing called a rudder, the only part of a high perf plane that requires more judicial use to something akin to an old Citabria etc.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
Amazing the 'stigma' a conventional U/C plane such as an 8 seems to have, it's somewhat crazy, it's just another plane! I had only ever flown low powered conventional U/C planes then when I bought my 8 I felt right at home in it as it has a thing called a rudder, the only part of a high perf plane that requires more judicial use to something akin to an old Citabria etc.
Can't say there's not a bit of a culture bubble on this site.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:50 PM

I got 5 hours of transition training in Okeechobee, FL to re-acquaint myself with a tailwheel.
Since then, I've learned to take off with 1/2 flaps, and solo with 2 25# bags of lead shot on either side of the rear seat cushion.
Usually wheel land when solo, and 3-point with a passenger.
AeroSport Power IO-360 180hp w/dual P-Mags
Catto 3-blade, with black carbon spinner.
10" Dynon SkyviewTouch. That's ALL.
2018 Dues Paid