VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-23-2018, 02:04 PM

Default RV-8 CG with earthX battery

I have installed an Odyssey battery (15 pounds) in the engine compartment with a O-360-A1A and a Hartzell CS prop, that I think is a mistake for the CG location.
I will replace the Odyssey and IŽll install an earthX (4 pounds ).
My questions are?
1.- Do I still need some weight in the rear?. For example the Odyssey battery in its original rear position.
2.- How about using the Odyssey battery like a backup? I just need to install some "small" wires
Jose del Peso 80981
Madrid (Spain)
Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 PM

If you are going to use the lead acid battery as backup for the LiFe, be sure to have a separate contactor for each. Charging in parallel is no problem. Discharging in parallel is. The lower voltage of the lead acid battery will suck the juice out of the Lithium battery, so you don't want to have them both in the circuit with the alternator off. Instead, use one at a time.

Ed Holyoke
Old 03-23-2018, 04:59 PM

I just worked the W&B numbers. For an RV-8/8A with the 180hp IO-360 and Hartzell CS prop, one PC-625 battery mounted forward, and one PC-625 in the normal aft position yields a nice W&B. This is what I did on the new RV-8 project.

I mounted my forward PC-625 in the forward baggage well. I was never a fan of batteries mounted forward of the firewall.

In my first RV-8A I mounted one PC-625 in the forward baggage well, and one on the left side just aft of the firewall. The W&B was workable but 25 pounds of lead shot in the baggage compartment made solo flying better.

If you are interested I can provide photos on how I mountd each battery, and the power distribuion wiring instruction. Just PM me your email address.

Carl