VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-19-2018, 04:44 PM

Default Torquing Rudder and Elevator Bolts

Iím trying to torque the AN3 bolts through the cutouts in the elevators and rudder but cannot get my smallest in/lb torque wrench in there and the crows foot isnít long enough either. How are you getting in there with a torque wrench? Iíve looked everywhere for a flat bar type extension with no luck. Thanks
RV14A #140083
Wings, empennage, fuselage and finish slow builds completed. Avionics Installed.
FWF in progress (temporarily on hold after unexpectedly having to move from T51 to KDWH)
2017 Donation
Old 03-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Default Proto J5100

I used this set of Proto torque adapters along with a torque wrench on my RV-7 flight controls. Not inexpensive, but these adapters are pretty versatile and I've used them for other purposes. Set at a 90 degree angle from the torque wrench, they clear the cutouts in the flight controls with ease.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J5100.../dp/B001HWEAAG

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 Katana "Princess Amelia"
RV-7A Phase 1 under way, in paint at Evoke Aviation
RV-10 under construction
Old 03-19-2018, 05:59 PM

Consider using a standard combination wrench in combination with a spring scale.

For example if you want 35 in-lbs and your wrench is 5" long, center to center, then 7 lbs of pull on the scale will get you the correct torque. Do make sure you hold the scale perpendicular to the wrench.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:15 PM

I bought a combination wrench and made my own offset box end. I just welded a nut to the handle for delivering the torque, using the measured offset. The box end had to be ground down pretty thin to fit some spaces, maybe the 14 is bigger there too

No reason to make my own except to save research, and delivery time.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
1st Flight 1-27-18
33/40 hrs
Aerobatics DONE!!
2017 Dues Paid
Old 03-19-2018, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the three excellent suggestions I can see a use for all three. Much appreciated.
RV14A #140083
Wings, empennage, fuselage and finish slow builds completed. Avionics Installed.
FWF in progress (temporarily on hold after unexpectedly having to move from T51 to KDWH)
2017 Donation