What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PlanePower FS1-14 Field CB Popping

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
The 5A enable/field CB for my PlanePower FS1-14 backup alternator has started popping. Sometimes it resets but mostly it doesn't until after I shut everything down. There is no apparent outward visual indicator that something is amiss. Anyone else experienced this behavior? Any trouble shooting suggestions? This particular alternator and has less than 50 hours on it.

I had the same problem with my belt driven PP alternator. It would pop the breaker for no reason, often when I turned things off. I replaced the alternator and no more problems.

-Marc

Connector

I remember seeing some posts about the connector plug used on the PP alternators having problems with bad crimps. There was a source listed for replacement connectors at a reasonable price, so I bought one just in case. I have both the belt driven and the backup pad driven one, but haven't had to use the spare connector - yet...

PlanePower sent me a troubleshooting guide in the form a flow chart that will help determine if the wiring is the culprit. I'm also going ahead and replacing the 5A CB with a new one. If after all of this the problem still persists, they also sent me the form to initiate an RMA request to pull it and send in to them for addition bench testing and possible repair.

I'll report back as the story unfolds.....

You might read the many PlanePower threads. Your problem is very common with PP alternators, although most threads have focused on the belt-driven models. If, in fact, they are actually willing to service them that would be a welcome change of policy though.

Last edited:
You might read the many PlanePower threads. Your problem is very common with PP alternators, although most threads have focused on the belt-driven models. If, in fact, they are actually willing to service them that would be a welcome change of policy though.

Right. I wanted to send my unit back for test and repair, and they said they would test it free but there was no repair offered. The unit was out of warranty so that replacement was my only option.

~Marc

Back