What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drawing 19? Fuselage side view

mill2978

Well Known Member
I was just on the phone with the mothership. I had some confusion as to which of my set of long angle was longerons(never used any of the long angle for the wings...have 4 long and 2 very long), part of the confusion was that I can't find a total length given for the F-887 on the longeron diagram.

I was told that there is a "drawing 19" it's often been hung up by builders as it is 4ft long and it shows the fuselage in a side view.

I don't see a drawing 19 in my set of full scale drawings or the preview plans.

Any idea what they are talking about?

Thanks

Drawing 20

I have two sets of drawings for my wing kit. The original set that shipped with the kit and another that I bought while the wings were in storage so I could do some planning for my new shop.

The original drawing set has a drawing 20 which is the fuselage in side view. This is what I was looking for it gives the longeron length.

The new set of drawings doesn't have a drawing 20 and it wasn't in the preview plans.

I just looked at the RV-8 plans DVD that I bought from Vans which included files for both pre-punched and non pre-punched kits. The file with the drawings for the pre-punched kits don't include a drawing 19, but the file with the non-prepunched plans does and it's a fusleage side view that shows the fuselage station locations of the frames. Drawing 20 in that file is for the fuselage jig.

Longeron Bending - drawing 66

Aaron,
Check out drawing #66 - it shows the longeron bends. The two really long angles are the F-887-1 longerons that go from firewall to tail. You will trim some off the aft end and maybe even the front end of the angle so don't get hung up on the exact length of the raw angle. The two shorter angles are the lower longerons (and the extra 2 will come in handy for bending the curve of the aft skin) - and there are 2 angles with some machining which are your aux. longerons. I didn't have a 4 foot long drawing #19 either.

Last edited:
Back