What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie Here

Mike_Singer

I'm New Here
Hi All,
I am new to the build scene and have some questions that might sound dumb... I am very interested in building a plane but it all seems a bit overwhelming. I ordered the toolbox kit to see what skills are required to assemble something small before investing a considerable amount of time and $$. The kit has a few terms I am unfamiliar with. Is there anything in writing or videos that someone can refer to while learning the skills needed to complete a build. Cleco, Deburr, Dimple, are just a few that I spent some time researching but couldn't get clear answers on.

Highly recommend the EAA class

I too was a bit apprehensive until attending the EAA sheet metal class. I found the instruction to be invaluable and a great confidence builder.

Videos

Yep. EAA Webinars. That should get you past the visual basics. Then move on the a training class.

Van's support page, for updates and revisions and that sort of thing, has Chapter 5 that you can download for each of the aircraft. It's a common document shared among the planes It's a good description of some of the tasks.

Dave

First, you don't have to have any previous experience to build. TRUST ME!

As others have said, if you are excited about the thought of building and want to get a sense of it, see if you can register / attend one of the EAA sheetmetal classes (or any of the other ones for that matter!).
There are also TONS of YouTube videos of new builders showing what they are doing (including the mistakes they make). Half of the process is learning from those mistakes and gaining skills.

Look up a local EAA chapter and see if you can visit another builder to see what they are working on. I know I did before I purchased my tail kit.

Welcome to VAF!

Appreciate the info! Looks like I just missed the local class that appears to be annual (In Corona). Might just have to fly out to Phoenix to attend the one in a few months.

I'm fairly new here too, and some of the tasks only seemed daunting because they're new to me. As suggested I read through section 5 of the vans manual (after making a few mistakes along the way so then it hit home as to what was important!), but I also checked out a lot of the support videos on the VAF advertisers sites - Cleaveland and Steinair have some really useful things.

All of the above are great suggestions. Also, when you order your first kit Van's sends a complete build manual. There are many pages up front with explanations to probably many of your questions; along with illustrations. If you are near Corona, get in tough with Bruce Hill, or another builder to spend a few hours helping you out just to get your started.

Newbie!!

Welcome Mike:

I concur with the others about the EAA sheet metal class. It really gave me confidence to start my empennage kit. I also took the EAA electrical course and found this very helpful as well. Don't worry about the cost because it will save you more than that in the end.

Derek Clarke

I took the EAA class and it gives you a starting baseline. Before that you have no idea what people are talking about. I built the toolbox kit and a couple of the airfoil kits. I was still not an expert builder. I'm much further along now and still I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but I'm much better than I was. Take some time to practice and see what it's like. I love the building part of it, but other people are not that type. Make sure you are before you really jump into it. In the grand scheme of thing the Empennage kit is not that expensive but it's still a good chunk of money. If you get through the Empennage kit or not you will know whether you want to continue.

Some people are able to use a cordless drill and fewer tools. I didn't buy a full set of tools at first. I bought the absolute minimum and I kept adding. This is probably not the cheapest or most productive method since you are always in need of a tool that you haven't purchased yet. It did allow me to spread the cost out some until I figured out whether I really did want to do the build.

Back