What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icybreeze portable ac

rvdave

Well Known Member
Wondering if anyone has the icybreeze ac cooler, a review, and how it fits in the plane? Does it fit through the baggage door? Dimensions I had written down are 23L x 16 1/4W x 18 1/2H. That is probably to top vent but can it be manipulated through baggage door since those dimensions exceed door dimensions?

I also have the b-kool for my 10 and it fits through the baggage door just fine. The remote control is a handy feature as well.

I've been using it for 2 years now with now issues. It works well enough to knock the edge off of the heat while taxiing and climbing out.

Icybreeze --Dogs best friend

My son bought one at Oshkosh for the Glasair Sportsman and it works awesome.

This summer has been really hot and we fly from Portland to Bend almost every weekend. Before we started taking the Icybreeze in the back seat of the RV-10 our Pug Truman would be miserable until we got to 9000ft and it cooled off. With the Icybreeze on battery power we turn it on about 30 minutes before we leave and then Truman sits in front of the hose to stay cool. Truman is a huge fan

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

I've got an IcyBreeze..

..and just finished the baggage door portion of my build. Tonight, I will see if it fits through and report back. Stay tuned.

I will test it, I doubt it. We put it in the back seat so the cool air is closer to the front seats.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Here's another option that is on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253665084/zero-breeze-the-worlds-coolest-portable-air-condit

http://www.zero-breeze.com/

I have no idea how well it works or if it is even in mass production yet. I just saw it on Kickstarter and thought it was cool (pun intended). It looks like they surpassed the funding goal so that's a good sign.

You'd need to have a duct going outside the aircraft to vent the hot air, otherwise you'd just get a net temperature rise inside the cabin.

I have one and use it

We brought one last year at Oshkosh and used it this year on our trip out.
It will fit though the baggage door of the 10, but you have to turn it sideways. Which means you have to load it after you put it in the baggage area. Not a big deal.
I rigged up a power outlet for it and we got the extension tube and the remote switch. I run the extension tube up and hang it on the seatbelt bracket. It won't cool the cabin as whole, because either there's so much air already moving around, or the sun is just too powerful. It will help take the edge off on the ground and cool the two front passengers when flying.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

I've been thinking about creating a reduced passage through the baggage bulkhead and into the butterfly valve to get the air into the overhead. Seems that there was a way that one valve can close and the other one open. Gonna give it a try someday.

We brought one last year at Oshkosh and used it this year on our trip out.
It will fit though the baggage door of the 10, but you have to turn it sideways. Which means you have to load it after you put it in the baggage area. Not a big deal.

How do you get it out once it melts the ice?

I have dumped cold water on myself twice getting it out of the plane and into the car.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

How do you get it out once it melts the ice?

I have dumped cold water on myself twice getting it out of the plane and into the car.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Easy. Attach a long section of hose to the "return" and run it out the baggage door. Turn on the unit and it will pump all the water overboard, or at least enough to not worry about giving yourself a shower. :D Just make sure not to completely drain it dry, as running it without liquid in it could ruin the pump.

I've been thinking about creating a reduced passage through the baggage bulkhead and into the butterfly valve to get the air into the overhead. Seems that there was a way that one valve can close and the other one open. Gonna give it a try someday.

Here's a thought. Use the AeroSport controller to cut off flow to the overhead from the NACA's in back. Force air from the ice cooler through its own opening into the overhead and let the chilled air come out the overhead vents. At altitude, open the NACA controller and let cool ambient air in. No biggie if some outside cool air back-flows through the ice cooler, right? Still ends up in the cabin.

No better time than right now to plumb this into mine while I build. I think the rearmost removable panel could host this secondary air inlet with ease. Would probably help a tiny amount to insulate the portion of the cabin top that's within the overhead. Also tinted windows and a non-black interior...

Here's another option that is on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253665084/zero-breeze-the-worlds-coolest-portable-air-condit

http://www.zero-breeze.com/

I have no idea how well it works or if it is even in mass production yet. I just saw it on Kickstarter and thought it was cool (pun intended). It looks like they surpassed the funding goal so that's a good sign.

Read the comments on this kick starter and https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zero-breeze-the-world-s-coolest-portable-ac-unit#/updates/all, I've wanted to order one but the company isn't communicating with the backers and has missed 3 dead lines ... now they say there is a problem with the power supply.

Here's a thought. Use the AeroSport controller to cut off flow to the overhead from the NACA's in back. Force air from the ice cooler through its own opening into the overhead and let the chilled air come out the overhead vents. At altitude, open the NACA controller and let cool ambient air in. No biggie if some outside cool air back-flows through the ice cooler, right? Still ends up in the cabin.

No better time than right now to plumb this into mine while I build. I think the rearmost removable panel could host this secondary air inlet with ease. Would probably help a tiny amount to insulate the portion of the cabin top that's within the overhead. Also tinted windows and a non-black interior...

Bill, did you ever figure out a way to plumb this into the overhead console to allow the cool air to be directed through the overhead vents? Also just a general long term review from anyone who has been using the Icybreeze (or any other similar product) would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Zach

I did successfully plumb it into the overhead. It is possible to get it in and out of the baggage compartment upright and loaded if you take the wheels off. Still working on a way to make the axle and wheels easily removable and replaceable while on a trip, as it would be handy to roll it around versus lugging it.

I have not been impressed with the cooling it offers, and typically don't bring it along on trips unless expecting brutal heat, but it does work after a fashion. I will try to remember to grab some installation photos during my upcoming condition inspection and post them.

I can’t find any good pictures regarding the wheels/axles but if it’s a solid axle all the way across just drill a hole in one end of the axle and use a small R clip cotter pin that can be removed easily to secure it.

Bill, did you ever figure out a way to plumb this into the overhead console to allow the cool air to be directed through the overhead vents? Also just a general long term review from anyone who has been using the Icybreeze (or any other similar product) would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Zach

Zach,
Here's a older thread on how I plumbed the 10 for an air chiller to blow through overhead console.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=165507

However, after 420 flight hours, I wouldn't do this again. The volume of air from the cooler through the vents is VERY low. It does provide some cooling, but it's very weak in air volume.

I ended up using paracord string and tied a "strap" between main gear tubes in the cabin and the door handle to hold the doors open (about 1 1/2 inches) while taxiing and on the ramp. Just cracking the doors this much allows plenty of prop-wash to flow into plane but without the doors being at risk of coming off the plane. This airflow is enough to make the summer heat n South TX bearable while on the ground.

Pics of paracord straps for RV10 doors.

Attachments

• 2687F675-9CD6-47D3-BD84-18EF23E87A85.jpg
    2687F675-9CD6-47D3-BD84-18EF23E87A85.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 7FB9DEB3-250D-439C-A658-BC0271303E81.jpeg
    7FB9DEB3-250D-439C-A658-BC0271303E81.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 65
Back