What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best gloves for mek?

sblack

Well Known Member
So nitrile gloves last about 5s with mek. I found a chart on line that says butyl gloves are the best but I don't know where to get those. Any suggestions? I have a LOT of prep work to do so I need something that will hold up.

Thanks

Butyl gloves last ten times longer than others I've tried. Try Amazon. Last ones I got were "North by Honeywell". 2 pair for $18, I think.

I have used Women Playtex gloves that are used to wash dishes. Can also find BLACK gloves that are similar sometimes in the hardware stores.

What's your list? I've used MEK but would rather use something different ...

Visit the PPG web site.

I use Alumiprep and Schotch Brite pads and a lot of water. If the part sits after it is dry I do a follow wipe down with Coleman fuel (or Napa).

Carl

These parts were primed years ago with randolphe epoxy primer and they have years of dirt and corruption on them. What I need is a good degreaser. It is not bare aluminum. I should have mentioned that.

I've always preferred acetone over MEK. I've noticed lately that MEK is becoming much less available.

The blue nitrile gloves hold up ok with acetone but they do melt over time. Princess Auto here in Canada has them in boxes of 100. Maybe Harbour Freight in the States?

VENOM STEEL

Best made.
I think I got them at HD OR LOWES.

Aviation department of course.

Boomer.

Note:
Put regular gloves on first.

I agree there are better alternatives to MEK, nevertheless I found the Harbor Freight 9 mil Nitrile (black) to hold pretty well when MEK'ing.

dish soap

1st
Start with Dawn dish soap added to some water, rinse off thoroughly with water, dry off with non fabric softener wash cotton rags.

2nd
You might check with RANDOLPH EPOXY PRIMERS on your next step you might have to reflash the epoxy
800 362 3490
Bill J

Laminate Film gloves are recommended for MEK handling. $5-$7 pair and you will most likely have to order them from an Internet store. Besides the gloves dissolving, you need to be concerned about barrier protection time.

Here is a link to a good guide for chemicals vs. glove types.
http://www.ansellpro.com/download/Ansell_7thEditionChemicalResistanceGuide.pdf

Get your MEK while you can, the geniuses in Congress recently voted to let the EPA regulate a lot of common chemicals out of existence. I tried the MEK substitute, it's garbage compared to the real thing. Xylene and Lacquer Thinner are also prime targets for elimination from your local big box store.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Prep

1st
Start with Dawn dish soap added to some water, rinse off thoroughly with water, dry off with non fabric softener wash cotton rags.

2nd
You might check with RANDOLPH EPOXY PRIMERS on your next step you might have to reflash the epoxy
800 362 3490
Bill J

Agreed.
Ask the manufacturer.
Start with Dawn. Move up the chart. Lacquer Thinner or Acetone.
Keep MEK for last resort and don't allow it on your skin or use it without a respirator.

What do you mean I might have to "reflash" the epoxy? I googled the term but nothing came up.

Thanks for the advice.

Try acetone applied with a red scotchbrite pad. The abrasive scuffing will help adhesion of the new layers you are going to put on.

This works well for the Akzo epoxy primer. Should be similar for other epoxy primers.

Spent my entire career working in the airline maintenance industry. We evolved through all the chemicals like MEK and 111 Trichlorethane. I would use Acetone but even it is not great and should be handled correctly. Much better than MEK.

Spent my entire career working in the airline maintenance industry. We evolved through all the chemicals like MEK and 111 Trichlorethane. I would use Acetone but even it is not great and should be handled correctly. Much better than MEK.

What product did the airlines finally settle on?

Retired about 8 years ago from the worlds largest airline so they may have evolved further. In my time Trichlorethane was replaced with Trichlorethene, spelling may be wrong.

I jumped in this thread when I saw your post yesterday because my view is never to never use those type chemicals. For your application I would use Acetone. I have built 4 RV aircraft and it is the only chemical I use for cleaning or prep, in fact it's all you will find in my shop.

reflash the epoxy

Some epoxies if left on to long, paint has a hard time getting some teeth into the epoxy.
So you put a light coat of epoxy over the same.
(Reflash) Not sure if it's the right phrase but it sounds good. :D
Bill J

Ok I am planning to shoot anothe coat of epoxy anyway.

So acetone and latex gloves should work. Thanks to all.

Back