What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 38-28 void filler and sanding block

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Laid down the void filler and letting it setup overnight. I applied the mixture properly black and thick and tooled it to fill the gap. It seems to have settled down away from the plexi a bit and there is something of a lip at the void filler to plexi border. Low on the filler side high on the plexi side.

When I sand this down tomorrow should I do a repeat of the void filler to eliminate the little transition? Or is this non-critical and what is the min accepted standard?

Second, I made the radius gauge template of page 38-41 figure 2 but I’m stumped on how to make the radius sanding block having no lathe. Seems almost impossible to make with the tools I have. I do have a bench sander but can’t for the life of me think how I’m going to get that right. Tips please?

I made the sanding block by cutting a disk out of a 2 X 10 with my bandsaw. Then, I cut the disk into quarters and glued three of them together and final sanded them to the 4? radius on the belt sander. I can attach adhesive back sandpaper or just staple plain back sandpaper to it.

I did mine on a belt sander

I glued up a couple of 2x4?s and cut it into a triangle shape that was fairly close to the template using a table saw and then got after it with the belt sander. It was way faster and easier than I thought and not difficult to get the proper profile the length of the block. You could also glue a copy of the template to each end of the block to help sneak up on the profile.

You can go back and add some more void filler if you don?t like your first effort. It all gets covered up eventually.

BTW - I?m sure you have watched them already, but the videos on Vans site were very helpful

zko1zl.jpg

I found a PVC connector at Home depot with the correct radius. I made the above sanding block. I just pvc glued the pieces above to get a handle

The lightbulb.... 4" radius! got it.

But HD is letting me down. Nothing really matches.

Last edited:
After walking HD a few times the plumbing section revealed a sanding radius template in the form of a stainless toilet flange. Glued up a handle on a 2x4 and screwed one on each end approx aligned. Used the belt sander to remove the wood and when it got to metal it was done! Was super easy and when the flanges came off the tool was ready. No sig damage to flanges which are ready to return to their normal crappy service.

The flanges also served as great handles for the sanding where a little pressure was needed on one side or the other to get it even.

Back