What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR-200 vs Trig TY91

Chattin35

Well Known Member
Any pireps / thoughts on these two radios?

GTR-200

Has standby freq monitoring which is nice for flying with other airplanes, checking ATIS, etc. More transmit power (probably non-factor for RV's). Great intercom from what I've read.

TY91

Has 8.33 kHz spacing which is nice if I ever get a wild hair and wanted to fly to Europe. Remote mountable box which is awesome -- might put it down by the antenna and save a coax run. Controller head takes up less panel space. Good intercom.

Thanks!

No experience with the Trig but love my GTR-200. The ability to monitor a standby frequency is a must-have, IMO, especially if you ever plan on flying IFR. The intercom is also great and I can tune it with my GRT EFIS.

Chris

No direct experience with the TY91, but been using Trig TT22 for years.
I love Trig equipment.
I've been doing a lot of research for comm radio for my bi-plane and my research resulted in decision in favor of the TY91. Hands down.

I have been using the GTR-200 in a Christen Eagle for about a year now and have nothing but good things to say about it. The monitor function comes in handy, lots of memory options and other features. It seems to work well as a radio, I am always able to understand and have always gotten reports of loud and clear. The best part however is the intercom. It is the best intercom I have ever used, the Eagle is a pretty loud airplane, I just put the squelch on automatic and the intercom does the rest.

I installed a TY91 the other day for the first time. The remote box make installation easy, especially because of the size. It's the same size as their transponder, and you can rivet or screw the mounting plate on then the radio just snaps into the tray. 5 wires from the radio to the display and that's it. The audio quality seemed to be just as good as the existing 430W in the plane. For an add-on, it's got to be the easiest unit to install. If you don't have an open 2.25" hole, borrow a punch and make one.

TY91 vs GTR200

I just read the TY91 has standby monitoring as well -- big bonus. It also weights about half as much as the GTR200. Plus, you save the weight of a coax run.

The GTR200 is less expensive.

Both seem awesome. Tough call.

Any pireps / thoughts on these two radios?

GTR-200

Has standby freq monitoring which is nice for flying with other airplanes, checking ATIS, etc. More transmit power (probably non-factor for RV's). Great intercom from what I've read.

TY91

Has 8.33 kHz spacing which is nice if I ever get a wild hair and wanted to fly to Europe. Remote mountable box which is awesome -- might put it down by the antenna and save a coax run. Controller head takes up less panel space. Good intercom.

Thanks!

Hello Chattin35,

Thank you for considering the GTR 200 for your radio and intercom.

While on the surface each of these devices is a radio with an intercom, there is certainly a lot more to the story and we encourage you to dig into the details before purchasing.

For example, mono versus stereo may or may not be important to you, but most of us now use stereo headsets and no longer use mono headsets or mono wiring for our headset jacks, so you may not want a radio/intercom that is mono only including the intercom.

You may also not want an intercom that doesn't support a stereo music input with single button music on/off and auto music muting when a radio transmission is received.

Intercom auto-squelch is another important feature to many of us. As reported by others, the advanced auto-squelch technology in the GTR 200 works extremely well and is preferred over a manually adjusted intercom squelch.

The GTR 200 provides a state-of-the-art audio system with many powerful features common to high end audio panels including advanced auto-squelch, 3D audio, stereo intercom, stereo music input with bass boost and music equalizer settings, dual alert inputs, best-in-class standby frequency monitoring, on-screen frequency identification, and much more.

In this example image you can see that one of the two user assignable softkeys has been assigned to turn on/off the stereo music that is heard by everyone using the built-in stereo intercom system. The other softkey is assigned to the pilot isolate feature if you need to quickly isolate yourself from a chatty passenger to talk to ATC. One of these softkeys can even be assigned to be the PTT button in case you were to lose use of the stick mounted button.

FrontPanel.jpg

The GTR 200 does not have an installed database, yet is able to use frequency information from attached devices to perform automatic frequency identification of manually tuned frequencies. Hundreds of nearby frequencies/IDs are automatically and constantly transferred to the GTR 200 by G3X and Garmin Aera 5XX/660/7XX and GPSMAP 69X portables.

Shown below is the display of an airport frequency group. Just push in on the right knob and turn the outer knob to quickly find the departure or destination airport from the flight plan, or any nearby airport, then use the inner knob to view or tune any of the available frequencies for that airport.

AirportGroup.jpg

Other systems which support the legacy SL40 protocol can also tune the standby frequency and send flight plan and nearby airport frequency groups over a serial link into the GTR 200 for easy use.

The GTR 200 has a front accessible micro SD card reader and free software updates can be downloaded from our website and installed by the user.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Back