What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying with open canopy ?

Searching the archives, you will find lots of discussion on this.

Welcome to VAF Cyrano de Bergerac. It is possible to fly with an open canopy but it depends on the type of canopy. A slider canopy is really the only type that is really practical and only if it has well engineered stops that prevent the canopy sliding all the way back. At the speeds an RV-9 is comfortable at, a partially open canopy is more of a liability than a feature. In the hot climates of Brazil if the outside temperature on the ground is above 38?C then it is better to fly with the canopy closed. Remember, a lot of stuff that is not tied down (maps, notes, log books etc) can go overboard because of the suction effect.

Best of luck and I hope you get some more useful responses to your question as a first time poster without having to search the archives.

Maybe

clip_image002-1.jpg

N23YW

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa

Last edited:
Flying with open canope

I do know it can be done I did it this morning, Yes my canope did depart the aircraft. RV 7 Slider. :mad: It's only money.

I do know it can be done I did it this morning, Yes my canope did depart the aircraft. RV 7 Slider. :mad: It's only money.

It sounds like it did not make contact with the rest of the plane, that's good.

How did it fly w/o the canopy, was there much buffeting?

Like you, I took off with my canopy unlatched but with the tip-up it is a non-event. It just floats in the open position a few inches.

Back