What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polished aluminum - as you build, or after completion?

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
My plan is to do a polished aluminum aircraft, and I'm wondering which is the less painful way to go...polish parts as you complete them, or do the whole plane after she's finished? How much of a mess is the polishing process, how much room in the shop is needed, etc.?

And I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it bears on this question a bit...if you don't polish until the end, what are the pros and cons of leaving that blue **** on the sheets (except for the rivet lines, of course!)?

I yanked it all (I couldn't get it to work and protect the sheet anyway) and started polishing parts as I completed them, it helps keep corrosion away to keep everything polished. I highly recommend a Cyclo and Nuvite polish.

Take the blue stuff off

Steve,

I have been going at my plane for four years now. My advice is to remove the blue sheet ASAP if you live in a wet climate. My experience has been that moisture makes its way under the plastic and kicks off the corrosion process.

Richard
RV7A - Finishing

I didn't know I had so many "sick" friends out there. I just spent the last four days polishing my 6 with Nuvite, cyclo, etc. What a mess, but does it look good. I don't know if the clear plastic (my kit had this) is different, but I left it on to the very end. Didn't notice any corrosion under it and did it ever keep it nice. If the blue plastic is similar, I would leave it on as long as possible. Many have said that the longer you leave it on, the harder it is to pull, I didn't notice this. One thing I would do it I were going to polish is be very careful about cutting plastic for rivet lines. Don't use a razor to cut, use a sodering iron. Even it you are very light with a razor, it will leave a tiny scratch.

Does anyone know of anything that works better than Nuvite? I have used all the different grades and it seems like a pretty good product.

In the end, I don't know that I will leave it polished, but does it ever look good now. Just takes a lot of time.

I have found that mild scratches can be removed, but heavier scratches will only have their "walls" softened by polishing.

We've been using a soldering iron all along to remove the strips. And it's pretty dry where we live, so that's not really an issue, I guess.

I may give it a try on the next piece (right wing) after practicing on some scrap first. I found lots of good info on the process here and at sites like perfectpolish.com. Anybody in the L.A. area have the tools (and maybe experience) to give me a tutorial, before I buy them myself?

Polished stripe

I don't have the fortitude to keep a full-polished aluminum airplane in shape, but I've often liked the look of a polished stripe as part of the paint scheme. I've seen it on 50's vintage aircraft from time to time.

Anyone done it? Will you be rubbing off the adjacent paint color trying to keep the stripe looking good? I was thinking that 1-2 inch strip between 2 colors would look great.

I've heard elsewhere that stewart systems (sp?) has some sort of super durable coating for polished AL that does not have the problems a typical clear-coat would.

Polishing twice a year isn't that bad, but the reflection of the sun off the top of the wing IS!

Deep scratches, start with fine sandpaper (I'd go with something like 280, 400, 1000, then the nuvite. Note than by the time you are done, there will be no alclad left.

Back