What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which wire twister?

RV10Rob

Well Known Member
Hi, all... I still need to buy a wire twister, but I'm not sure what to get. There's a myriad of options--left hand, right hand, reversible, auto-return, 6", 8", 9", 10", 12"... different brands. Can anyone recommend one they liked and used for their whole project?

Thanks...

-Rob

get the milbar reversible 6" pliers, they're comfy and they work well!

They're not cheap, about $65 from spruce, but they're the pliers for a 'tool fetishist' like myself :)

i had the 8" for a couple years until i read on vaf about how someone preferred the shorter ones.

bought my second pair from ACS-- really like the short ones if they are handy.

Harbor Freight!

Their 9" safety wire pliers cost about $12 and look like the same exact 9" pliers that Spruce sells for $22

I own the harbor freight safety wire pliers.

I own the cheap ones Spruce sells.

The harbor freight ones have a VERY cheaply cast handle, and the hook that holds them shut snapped off early in their tenure.

The spruce ones are a bit better; they're still serviceable at least. They're not nearly as nice as the Milbar ones, however.

Reversible

If your going to do a lot of safety wiring get a reversible. It will keep the wire from coming off the side of the screw or bolt. I use a 6 inch milbar exclusively. The small size will let you get into small places. But on the other hand I have got away with just using a pair of duck bill pliers.
Aaron

Spend a few extra bucks and buy the Milbar. Safety wire pliers are in the "tools you use your whole life" category.

Left & Right

More often than not I use the digits of my left and right hands followed by duck bill pliers to make things tight. By making each turn of the twist, one at a time, the job is more consistent without over twisting.
If you are only securing one or two fastners, you can be finished before retrieving the twisters from the toolbox.
The wire twister is a great tool but most of the time will not be a necessity.
When I do use twisters, I get out the ones I bought at Boeing Surplus for $5.

twisters

I use mine ALL the time. I will have to look at the brand but they are the "spensive" kind (reverse capability) with the curved grip and the soft red rubber insert to hold the wire. I love the smaller ones because you KNOW you will be working in some tight spaces.
Best
Brian

We have them , decent price too!

I use mine ALL the time. I will have to look at the brand but they are the "spensive" kind (reverse capability) with the curved grip and the soft red rubber insert to hold the wire. I love the smaller ones because you KNOW you will be working in some tight spaces.
Best
Brian

Stock p/n 25W

$61.91ea. as of 1/24/2008

edited 1/25/08, sold out but more on the way in!

To see tech page.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/ms20995.pdf

To buy

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp?alternate=25W

We sell allot of these, Very Handy!

Last edited:
Go to a fence or agricultural supply place and get fence wire twister pliers. Same as what the aircraft supply places sell, about the same price as the HF pliers, decent quality.

Of course you can't use these on a certified plane as they have no FAA approval.;)

Get the short ones. Because if you buy the longer ones and need to do a wire job in a tight space you cannot shorten them. Most wire jobs are done in tight spaces. Left and Right twist select is the best because you can start a drilled bolt one way then reverse for the other one and tuck the wire in tight to the head.

I have had a long pair for many years, and once I got a short pair, I long pair was pretty much retired to the rust bin. I have a fairly cheap one, and having used good reversing ones, I keep hoping I'll find a good enough deal on a good pair to force me to buy them!

paul

Back