What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spring Attached Carburetor Diaphragm Housing

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I asked this question in the Rotax 912 Forum and didn't get a response.

Why is there a spring stretched from the top of the carburetor diaphragm housing to the cylinder head on 912ULS? Seems kinda weird...

I wonder if the spring acts as a ground wire because the rubber boot is insulated?

I always figured that it was there to help support the weight of the carb / air filter (versus the rubber flange mount) and change the vibrational harmonics of the carb support system.

Before the current version carb. mounting flange (black rubber component) was introduced to improve the flange longevity, they really took a beating from the carbs cantilever mounted and the influence of engine vibration.
The springs were added to dampen some of that vibration load and help the flanges last longer.
Apparently, when the new improved flanges were introduced, the springs were left as a bit of extra insurance (at least that is the official Rotax explanation that I have been told).

In my experience, the springs attach to one of the carb balance pipe hose clips, not the cylinder head.

Got this response over in the Rotax forum from Garrett Wysocki...

I believe it supports the carburetor to take the stress off the boot. Supposed to be stretched so the spring is 40 mm center to center per Rotax.

Back