What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleco Care

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I like to keep my tools in clean/rust free condition. Just received some older clecos. The shafts are rusted. I will remove the rust from the exposed part of the shafts and call it ok.

Question here is what should I use on these clecos to keep them from rusting again? Anything short of toss them out or leave them rusted is appreciated.

Thanks for your answers/expertise in advance.

I was thinking the same thing today. My body pH must be nastly because every tool I touch rusts, especially in the summer here in GA (especially THIS summer). I'm considering removing the rust off bucking bars, rivet sets, wrenches, etc with a rust remover solution (A soak in a strong citric acid solution will remove rust VERY well). However, I don't really want to do that for tools with nooks and crannies (like clecos, gear wrenches, etc) because one never knows how much water will get trapped in there. Either way, when they're done being de-rusted, what to protect them with?

I'm thinking:
WD-40
Kerosene (see above...)
ATF
Airtool oil
AeroShell W100 or Castrol Syntec Euro Formula (RV-7 or BMW 5 oil, respectively)
Some gun spray I've used, has a bullseye on the can
MMO
Hoppes #9

Any other suggestions, or good history with the above? Obviously don't want it too greasy or cancerous, but don't want to have to reapply every day, either. Leaning toward WD-40, the gun spray or MMO....

Edit: I guess to de-rust the clecos one could soak in acid solution then bake at 250F until golden brown then treat.....won't help for airdrill chucks and bodies, gear wrenches or D-sub crimpers (i.e. things I'm unwilling to put in the oven)....

A problem?

I haven't had any issues with rusting clecos, and I live in a very humid environment. Most of the ones I have came from Aircraft Spruce, so maybe there's a difference in quality.

Regardless is rust really an issue? I would just use them until they fail (if ever) and then replace. Just my 2 cents.

Tom

Rust was always an issue with tools that weren't kept in a closed tool box at our Houston/Gulf Coast location. We kept our large quantity of silver clecoes in a 2 gallon bucket with a lid, and I'd put a spritz of WD-40 into the open top if they weren't going to be used for awhile - worked well.

The stems of most of our clecoes got rusty if they were attached to the structure and exposed to the air for some time (like those left in the skin of stored wings).

To get rid of rust on metal I use EvapoRust. Lowes has some spectacular deals on it if you can find it. Harbor Freight sells it (everything they sell rusts - even the nylon wire ties<g>). It's made in the US. Amazing stuff, imo. The nice this with EvapoRust is you soak the parts for 12-24 hours, then drain them, rinse, and I'd use a hair dryer or heat gun to get them really dry. The EvapoRust is reusable after you drain it. Apparently totally innocuous stuff.

To keep clecos from rusting etc, I store them in a coffee can and about every 3 or 4 months I'll spray them with a gun lube I have and shake them well.

WD-40 for me

I've got the same problem with rust on the stems of my clecos in my unheated shop in the damp Northwest. I keep a a pop bottle cap full of WD-40 handy when placing or pulling clecos and dip them when I come across a rusty one. When using the pneumatic cleco gun it is easy to run the cleco a couple times in the WD-40 to cover it well. The sealed container sounds like a good idea as well.

Try soaking them in diesel fuel. You can free them up with a few squeezes of a cleco pliers after a good soak. If you store them in a sealed container (think Tupperware), there's enough oil residue from the fuel to keep them in good shape.

Cheers,

Vac

Do NOT use WD-40. It is a penetrant, not an oil or a rust-preventative. Also, do not use any silicon-based lubricants as they will spread on the surfaces they touch and make painting difficult. I have not had problems with my clecos other than some gumming due to proseal or epoxy - in both cases easy to peel by hand after they set up. The few cases I had get sticky I applied Hoppes lubricating oil to and wiped carefully afterward, just like I do with the actions of my firearms.

Do NOT use WD-40. It is a penetrant, not an oil or a rust-preventative. .

It is actually a "Water Displacement" formula, and that is sort of what I am using it for - haven't seen that it harms the clecos or airplane in any way. It's worked fine in the humid/salt air of Houston for years.

Agree with you on silicone!

Rust

WD 40 is OK. But doesn't last long.
Corrosion X is the best I found.
In a very hot non-Insulated hanger In Houston.
Bill J

Back