What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedal Redo

Danny King

Well Known Member
It's been fifteen years since I installed the rudder pedals in the Doll. Over the years they have become increasingly difficult to reposition forward and aft. I knew that I needed to remove them for some R&R, but in my mind I was dreading the required process! Like most maintenance, thinking about the task was much worse than actually doing the work. I was surprised that I had them removed, disassembled, and in the parts washer in about an hour!

During inspection, I noticed that both rudder pedals had worn where the bolt attaches them to the master cylinder. In fact, the hole in the pedals had elongated vertically the width of the #3 attachment bolts! At first I thought I'd weld up the holes, and re-drill them. Then I remembered that Paul Grimstad had walked up to me at Air Venture 2013 with a very nice RV-8 Pedal in his hand. He had crafted them and laser etched them. They looked first class and at the time I thought about picking up a pair from him after Oshkosh and installing them at the next conditional. Well, out of sight for me is out of mind and I completely forgot about them until I sat there staring at the elongated bolt holes in the OEM pedals.

Back at home, I did a Google search and found Paul's business: Control Approach. I gave him a call and he sent me a pair of his beautiful pedals to install in the Doll. I painted the rest of the assembly black to match Paul's pedals and installed a two inch wide strip of stainless steel tape on the floor for the nylon blocks to slide on. The end result is a great looking setup that glides smoothly forward and aft to any position.

If you want to upgrade your pedals, I highly recommend Paul Grimstad's products at Control Approach! I'm a happy camper!

30vj9dz.jpg

Last edited:
Danny, nice pedals....but tell me that's not Thermozite insulation on your firewall.

Danny, nice pedals....but tell me that's not Thermozite insulation on your firewall.

I honestly don't know! You and I have discussed this, and it's an area I plan to address. The insulation on the firewall is foil on either side of a felt like material. I purchased it from Spruce and Specialty and it was advertised as FAA legal. Of course that was fifteen years ago.

Last edited:
Danny,

I'm getting ready to install the brakes in my RV-8 and was planning to use the individual reservoirs. Have you ever had an issue with your brake reservoirs hitting the forward bulkhead?

Jim Heekin
Orlando, FL

Danny,

I'm getting ready to install the brakes in my RV-8 and was planning to use the individual reservoirs. Have you ever had an issue with your brake reservoirs hitting the forward bulkhead?

Jim Heekin
Orlando, FL

That is not a problem in the RV-8. I don't know about the other RV models.

Back