What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Type Designator for flight plan filing?

alcladrv

Well Known Member
What Type Designator do you use when filing IFR?

I've been using RV7, because I thought I saw it as an FAA recognized Type Designator. Now, I can only find HXA, HXB or HXC. I guess I should be using HXB.

Anyone care to comment?

Mike

Why do they ask?

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I am curious. I am sometimes asked make & model when using flight following, sometimes after being passed off. Why do they ask? I always say "Vans RV-7" and they seem happy with that. What gives? Thanks.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I am curious. I am sometimes asked make & model when using flight following, sometimes after being passed off. Why do they ask? I always say "Vans RV-7" and they seem happy with that. What gives? Thanks.

I've always assumed it's for spacing. They probably want to know how fast you can go.

equipment type

I work as an air traffic controller and the RV series id's have all been added into our system (enroute). HXB would be used if you were a less known experimental homebuilt. Filing a RV6, RV6A, RV8, etc., works just great. It also gives us ATC folks with RV's a chance to say Hi!

real timely subject; since I've been sitting around trying to make a go no go decision with a destination with 600 agl ovc. still home two days later. :)

With the RV7A I've been told RV7.

With the Harmon Rocket-- HXB. HR2 does not work. and maybe that's why my VFR HR2 Pireps never show up on wxmeister.com

thx for info

Back