What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speed and tie down rings

Chippster1

Here is an experiment I have not tried, but I?m sure many already have.
Does anyone have any speed data with rings in vs out?

I've flown my -6 with and without tiedown rings installed. I can see absolutely no difference in speeds. I normally remove them simply because it looks better/cleaner.

rings

From an engineering standpoint, you could probably calculate the drag increase, however, from a real world perspective, that increase will likely be overshadowed and basically undetectable...unless your rings are flat plates facing the direction of flight.

Sounds to me like you are interested in a really fast plane. The RV-10 is a really wonderful all around aircraft but there are faster designs out there. Kind of like asking how to make a C-172 go faster; the answer is buy a different plane...

From an engineering standpoint, you could probably calculate the drag increase, however, from a real world perspective, that increase will likely be overshadowed and basically undetectable...unless your rings are flat plates facing the direction of flight.

Sounds to me like you are interested in a really fast plane. The RV-10 is a really wonderful all around aircraft but there are faster designs out there. Kind of like asking how to make a C-172 go faster; the answer is buy a different plane...

Actually, I totally love my RV-10 and would never part with her.
What I really am is fascinated with aerodynamics and a would be Aerospace Engineer who went to Dental School!

Regardless of any perceived speed penalty, don't leave the three rings in place. Dissimilar corrosion can and will occur.

Corrosion

Are you also accounting for the corrosion that will occur at EVERY place in the aircraft where there are dissimilar metals?

Check this chart out:

https://www.pemnet.com/design_info/galvanic-corrosion/

Note that the closer the metals are to one another on the list, the less corrosion potential exists. Looking at Aluminum, we find that mild steel is on one side and cadmium is on the other. This means that although there IS a corrosion potential between these dissimilar metals, it is comparatively very small. The potential is typically dependent upon an electrolyte (water) as well. So if you were to use a mild steel or Cadmium plated steel ring, there won't be much of an issue. Further, if you were to apply a thin coat of grease or anti seize to the threads, you in effect prevent the incursion of water which reduces the potential for corrosion even further.

Back