What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motorav 100 hp

jibby212

Well Known Member
I ran across a new engine at Sun&Fun that I have never seen before. It is based on A VW but has a totally new case, one piece crankshaft with prop hub, totally new heads with both exhaust and intake coming out the bottom and is available in cw or ccw rotation. Show price was 12900. It is rated at 100 hp at 2900 and has a 175 ci displacement, I think that is around 2900cc. I have been fly behind VWs for a while now and if you do them right and don't ask for more than about 80hp they are great but this one looks to be truly an aircraft engine. Of course time will tell but for me I like the air cooled and direct drive, and of course the lower price. Maybe not the perfect engine for the RV12 because it is set up soley for the rotax but I think it is an engine to look into, for curiousity if nothing else.

Look up the -12 that Van built.

Google "dick vangrunsven rv-12" does not narrow the search much. Any link?

Very nice evolution of the VW design, with what looks like excellent design modifications. I talked to a Motorav general manager 7+ years ago at OSH about this for almost an hour and recommended an outstanding former chief engineer from Continental. I always wondered how they progressed. It appears they leveraged the VW production processes toot

Hmmm... It's not showing up in the FAA registry now, but I thought that either Van or his brother built one with a Jabiru, registered as a homebuilt. Anyone with a better memory than mine?

Hmmm... It's not showing up in the FAA registry now, but I thought that either Van or his brother built one with a Jabiru, registered as a homebuilt. Anyone with a better memory than mine?

Van built an RV-12 from an early kit and licensed it E/AB, but it is powered by a Rotax. You can read about it in several of the archived issues of the RVator on Van's website. The completed plane is shown in the 5th 2009 issue.

http://vansaircraft.com/public/RVator/2009/5-2009-RVator.pdf

Returning to Motorav...it is an interesting engine, but unless something has changed, there seems to be a disconnect at the customer contact and marketing levels. Proceed with care.

Back