What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipad or Ipad Mini?

Which Ipad to choose?

• Ipad

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • Ipad Mini

Votes: 97 84.3%

• Total voters

azflyer21

Well Known Member
I'm finally going to take the plunge and get an Ipad for my EFB. I'm an Android loyalist, it's just that the EFB's for Android are not as advanced.

Should I go with the Mini or standard Ipad?

Thanks
Kevin

I have both and find I use the mini a lot more in my 9A. It fits comfortably either on my knee or in a RAM suction cup mount that I can move around.

Also, rumor is there may be a new model coming out in March, so if you want the latest and greatest (or a better deal on the current models), you may want to wait a few weeks. I have the original mini and it works but is a bit laggy, so I may upgrade this year.

Chris

I use a mini. I'm still building so I'm not sure what will work comfortably in an RV-10. But there is no room on my lap for a larger iPad in the DA40 that I fly regularly.

I've been hoping for a meaningful iPad mini refresh for some time. But rumors are that there will be no mini refresh... at least not anytime soon... I'd really like to a see a mini with Apple Pencil support.

Ipad Air2

I have the Ipad Air 2 and like it but....

it is heavy in its Otter protective case
I am installing Dynon 10 inch now in my RV 7
I have taken it in the C172 i fly and rent

With all the above in mind I find it a bit large and would likley consider the Ipad Mini now.

BTW I am a die hard Android fan but Foreflight blows everything else out of the water and continues to do so. I hate learning a new OS but it is working out ok.

Dave

Ipad full size or mini?

I have used both. An Ipad flush mounted in the dash of an RV4, and an Ipad mini mounted flush in the panel of an RV8. Both work well in spite of complaints you may hear for glare and visibility in direct sunlight.

But, I prefer the full sized Ipad over the mini. The larger screen presents the information in a much larger and readable format. It's also more difficult to use the mini touch screen features in turbulence.

However, the determining factor might end up being how much space you have in the cockpit.

If your going to go with the mini, I think they are close to releasing a new version. If that is true, I would wait for it.

I have an iPad mini now running GarminPilot, but until 6 months ago I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 also running GarminPilot. I switched because I broke the screen and was basically given the iPad. Had it not been for that I would have bought a new Galaxy which I feel is a superior tablet to the iPad mini. Compared to a full size tablet I think the 7 to 8 inch screen size to be the best compromise for cockpit use.

Oh and although the Android version of GarminPilot lags behind the iOS version in features, it's still plenty capable and that alone would no be enough for me to buy an iPad over an Android based tablet.

I have an iPad Mini and I use it in my RV-8. AS a previous post mentioned, it works with kneepads and suctions cups; it's small size gives you more locations to place it.

I got the fastest processor available, maxed out in storage and RAM - as time goes on the apps require more resources and I want the fastest CPU I can find for the fastest updates.

I use Foreflight.

I also bought a screen "cover" which cuts down on glare.

I've used both a full-sized iPad and a Mini in my Sky Arrow, and settled on the Mini:

23539875871_6350309bab_z.jpg

But it's all about real estate - if there's room, bigger is better, especially for aging eyes.

One little warning: an iPad loose in the lap poses some risk. It may be fine 99.9% of the time, but the wrong "air pocket" at the wrong time could send it flying, which is not a good thing. Of course, the same thing could be said for the iPhone sitting on my kneeboard in the above photo!

I use an older Ipad mini with Foreflight in my RV-8.

Compared to my Area 660, the Ipad screen is difficult to see in full sunlight. I have a heavily tinted Todd's canopy.

Full size iPad with a yoke; mini with a stick.
Get lots of memory if you use Foreflight; I use WingX, it uses less memory.

Bigger Better

Another option is an iPad Pro like Vlad has in his plane:

4071%20-%201.jpg

For our panel however the mini-2 is just perfect:

DSC04856%20cropped%20Large.jpg

We use FltplanGo (free) with all approach plates, VFR/IFR maps etc. Flown in both VFR and instrument conditions. I also use a Nexus 7 (2013) as a backup.

Mini iPad in my RV-12 running ForeFlight. The few switches covered by the screen are not used in my plane. I don't have landing or nav lights. iPad mount is held in place to bottom of instrument bay with Velcro. Works perfect...
-
1gpz7s.jpg

I've tried the iPad mini and found I could NOT see it in the cockpit... ESPECIALLY WITH A PAIR OF SUNGLASSES ON! Not so with a nexus tablet. I can see and use it with my sunglasses. Really just boils down to personal preference. Once you get use to these EFB, you'll never consider paper again!

I've tried the iPad mini and found I could NOT see it in the cockpit... ESPECIALLY WITH A PAIR OF SUNGLASSES ON! Not so with a nexus tablet. I can see and use it with my sunglasses. Really just boils down to personal preference. Once you get use to these EFB, you'll never consider paper again!

Curious, do you use polarized sunglasses?

Yes they were but still had trouble seeing it in the bright cockpit without sunglasses. With my polarized sunglasses I can see my dynon displays just not an iPad. I can see the nexus with polarized sunglasses well enough to use it. Here is a side by side comparison of them in direct sunlight. Once again it comes down to personal preference.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=107562&page=5

Last edited:
If your going to go with the mini, I think they are close to releasing a new version. If that is true, I would wait for it.

It looks like the iPad mini isn't going to get a new release this year.
https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/08/kgi-3-new-ipads-to-debut-next-quarter-will-slow-decline-in-sales-10-10-5-inch-model-wildcard/

"The new models will come in 12.9?, 10-10.5? and 9.7? versions" So, you might be okay with the mini or wait until Q2 for the larger iPads.

john

I'm fixing to buy an ipad. Are there models that should be avoided like the older models, or do they all work fine?

The Ipad Air 2's have an anti-reflective coating and do better in sunlight. I use one and it is rare that I can't see the display adequately in my 6A tipper.

Larry

my mini goes between the plane, helo, and car. in the plane the http://www.kogersunshades.com is a must. i lived with it forever till kim got me one for christmas. my other trick is custom sunglass lenses that are not tinted on the lower half. my mini, using stratus, is located in the left corner above the 495,using xm wx.
image-4.jpg

FWIW: I had an regular iPad but changed to a Mini sized Samsung tablet. I find it perfect for flying, especially displaying approach plates.

:cool:

Last edited:
Mini

I've flown with both and find the Mini is a slightly better size for me in a somewhat cramped cockpit.

If it's true that there's a new Mini coming out, then wait for that to be announced, and then buy a refurbished (old) Mini 3 a month or so later.

I've used an iPad in my RV-8, or tried to. Consistent problems with readability (glare) and overheating (with a cover and if left in the shade.)

I didn't have it on all the time, but would put it beside me between looks.

Ed

Back