What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal or vertical ?

acam37

Well Known Member
I'm having an IO360 being built for a new project and need to decide on horizontal or vertical induction? What's the best setup for fitting the cowl, Vetterman exhaust, ect.? I'm not an engine expert so this is new territory for me. This -4 will be setup for extensive aerobatic flight.

A 3rd option

My -7A has vertical induction but I decided to mount the FI server horizontally using some parts I purchased from Airflow Performance. Very happy with the setup and should clear the lower cowling once the bottom fuel inlet fitting is replaced by Don with a banjo fitting.

If I had to do it again, I would go with the Vetterman trombone exhaust to avoid having to install heat shields.

ijHbTMCl.jpg

Last edited:
I went with the horizontal induction for my -7 mostly because I heard that it is a lot of work to build the vertical airbox. I also didn't like the scoop on the cowl. No regrets.

Arlie,
I hope some RV4 folks post here to give you direct feedback.
As an RV7 builder with horizontal sump, I know those parts.
It is not clear to me that the horizontal sump and injector plus related intake system will fit the RV4 cowl without some significant custom work. I imagine it has been done though. Maybe one of those guys will post.

What about using a Rotec TBI? You know that will fit and you get full inverted options!

Having done the horizontal induction build on my 7, I think you would be looking at a whole lot of custom cowling fabrication to make it work on the 4. It would be cool though!

Piece of cake IF you don't use an air box! I know of one 4 that has flown for many years and hundreds of ours with direct ram air into the injector. No air box. No filter. I like it a lot and absolutely would consider it. There are pros and cons. The TBI's want/need an air box but perhaps their small size would leave space for one.

What about using a Rotec TBI? You know that will fit and you get full inverted options!

Why go to the trouble of putting in that unit when a vertical RSA-5 will fit just fine in the standard carburetor position?

Last edited:
Im going with vertical induction. Did a little more research and that would be easier on the -4. Also going to use the Vans FAB.

Back