What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy replacement

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I'm considering a salvage rv-6 with a beyond repair canopy. Does anyone know how much this might cost?

Is just the plexi broken or also the frame?

I don't have the plans for the 6 but I suspect it would be pretty close to the 9:
8ApaWVUDi5ck2Y9t6

canopy:
c-601-1 $~900?

Frame:
wd-716 $224
c-613 x2 $5.50ea
c-614 $6
wd-725-l $36.80
wd-725-r $36.80
f-631a-l&r $68.40
c-704 $5.75
c-603 x2 $8.95ea
canopy brace kit $25

yes

That is awesome! Thank you.

The -9 and -6 are similar, I'd have to ask Vans. But yeah.

Run these by vans. I'd be more worried about the crinkle in the rear fuse, everything else looks reasonably accessible/replaceable. You may also need a new rollover bar and the first bulkhead behind it from looking at that separation.

Have an A&P inspect and review the work to be done, they have more experience with identifying damage than we do. Van's is also your friend here. I am not an expert, they are.

YES

a 7 canopy fits an RV-6...and the 9

A friend with an RV-6A slider needed his canopy replaced. Since holes are drilled in the steel tubing (and not done correctly), he opted for a COMPLETE replacement. He ordered the more modern RV-7 canopy after Van's confirmed that the 6, 7, and 9 all use the same plexi. Frame, plexi, and shipping came to almost $2000.

Bill

a 7 canopy fits an RV-6...and the 9

A friend with an RV-6A slider needed his canopy replaced. Since holes are drilled in the steel tubing (and not done correctly), he opted for a COMPLETE replacement. He ordered the more modern RV-7 canopy after Van's confirmed that the 6, 7, and 9 all use the same plexi. Frame, plexi, and shipping came to almost $2000.

Bill

Not sure if that is true for the tip-up version the OP has.

It looks like the RV-7 tip-up frame is a bit longer than the RV-6 frame, even if the plexi is the same.

Check before ordering...:)

Back