What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2016 Reno Air Races, a different perspective

skylor

Well Known Member
At this year's Reno National Championship Air Races, I enjoyed the honor of participating in the Sport Class's first ever Slalom Match Racing exhibition. I finally got around to making a short video from some of my GoPro footage:

https://youtu.be/FmXAbintNY8

This is my first attempt at a YouTube video, so please excuse my use of a GoPro template and music...:eek:

Skylor
RV-8 "Sport 80"

Thanks for posting that, Skylor. I enjoyed watching you from the stands. Your turns were quick! Watching the video it seemed you put in a bit of bank before you pulled up, and then another time it seemed you pulled before putting in the bank. Did you have a specific technique or did you just let it flow? Or maybe you'd rather not say :cool:

First place! Good for you! Cool to see it from that perspective. We watched it from the north-side of the field.

Watching the video it seemed you put in a bit of bank before you pulled up, and then another time it seemed you pulled before putting in the bank. Did you have a specific technique or did you just let it flow? Or maybe you'd rather not say :cool:

Mark,

The technique that was originally recommended and practiced by the match racers was the pitch-roll-pull or essentially a wingover turn. After PRS in June, I adjusted and developed my technique to bank before the pull so I was sort of doing a high-G Chandelle. I found this to be a little faster than the wingover. During one of my pairings, I found I had a healthy lead at the finish of the first match so on the second match I decided to revert back to the wingover because it's more fun to fly and I think a little more graceful looking to observers...

What is the max gs you pulled?

Philip,

I was maxing out at 5.7-5.8 G, about midway through the turn. In the video segments where the instrument panel is visible, you can see the G-Meter on the PFD on the left side of the attitude indicater. You can't read the G-Meter, but occasionally in the turns you can see it become "highlighted". Thats the "G" caution which I have set to 5.5 G. In some of the video segments you can see the wings skins distort slightly.

Skylor

Last edited:
Back