What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-Splat nose job II

texdog

Well Known Member
I put the nose job on today, about two hours work, including visits with other pilots. I called Anti-Splat on Saturday with a question and they were on the phone at 7:58 this morning, Monday, now that is customer service.:)

I just ordered one for Candy.

Couple of questions:
How was their shipping time? I paid for 3 day shipping so I can have a weekend project. (we all need those, eh?) <-- WOW, Just got my shipping notification. Less then 2 hours! +1 for Anit-Splat.
What question did you run into during the install that they helped you with?
How much time did your install take? (not including waiting for your answer)
Was it really as easy as the video makes it seem? (I hope)

I didn't build mine, so I go slowly into things like this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nose II

Directions were clear for me. About a two hour job assuming that it fits under your existing gear leg fairing. Mine did with no problem and I really like it.

Can't tell a thing about if it works because I never land nose wheel first(yet) but if I ever do, I'll sure think it was a great $375 option :)

I took the RV7a out west this year again with the Nose Job and landed at lots of grass strips up in Idaho, Wyoming, and Oregon. Never had any issue but several times was really glad that I had it on the front. I also put the lip skid on as well because it's too easy not to do it.

Bill

Anti - Splat nose job II

The hardest job is getting the pin back in. I called about the fairing wasn't in the kit. I didn't need it, I found out. The smallest diameter about 8 inches up is 1.05 and the clamp is tight. You will need two pair of vice grips to get so you can put the black bolts in. Tighten to 150 inch pounds or 12.5 foot pounds, leave about two threads on the nut end. No more than 2 hours if you are slow. I flew it today and didn't know it was there. :)

one more pirep

I believe Allan said they have shipped a thousand????? of these?

Mine did not go on easily, but that's another story.
I recommend using a big C-clamp to close the bracket....no offense to Allan for the bent bolt; but mine sheared before it closed the clamp. Perhaps I had extra thick powder-coat on there?

I put some tape on the leg above the top and bottom 'tabs'.
After a half dozen landings, there was not a mark on the tape. I thought the thing would be banging away with every little bump!
I guess it really only stiffens the leg when it is experiencing extreme deflection!
I video'd the action from the side, and was surprised at how little deflection there appeared to be...lots of jiggle and wiggle of the nose yoke, but no shimmy or other bad habits!

It's A Great Addition

The Anti-Splat and nut 'skid' are great additions in my opinion.
But an even BETTER addition is to send your wheel and tire to Alan for upgrade to the bearings, and balancing of the wheel and tire.
The brace was a little difficult to 'squeeze' closed enough to get the bolts in (I used oversized water pump pliers) but once you get the bolts started, it draws up nicely.
After I did the tire and wheel mod to my 'A', you couldn't feel the front tire turning on the runway. And the smoothness of the bearings is unbelievable.
No more shake, or bearing 'pre-load' setting.
I've used many of Alan's products, and have never been disappointed with any of them. In fact, I'm looking to do an 'Almost 14' setup on another '6 I'm looking to purchase.
JMHO

The bent bolts that came in my kit worked perfectly. I also did the skid plate, nose wheel mod and vertical stabilizer mod.

Excellent products by Anti-Splat.

Now I'm thinking about the nose wheel bearing modification. (already have the skid in the mail)

I'm being lazy... any comparisons between the AS mod and the Grove tubeless nose wheel?

Thanks

Back