What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Guy/Empennage Order

bretwill

I'm New Here
I've been reading this forum off and on for about 18 months. Just registered and made my donation today. Ive had my private ticket since 06 but its pretty tough renting a plane locally. There's basically one warrior 160 that I rent and it stays stretched pretty thin.

I had my first seat time with a business aquaintance in an RV-10 about a month ago from KVDI to KISS. Its an awesome airplane and its everything I have read it was. I've been considering ordering an RV-10 kit since last March but have been, and still am, concerned about how much time I can put into the project. I farm and have a diverse range of crops coming in most months of the year but I do have periods of time between crops when I have a lot of time and could get some significant support. I have a garage with plenty of room for the project but it is not climate controlled. Whether it takes me 3 years or 6 years to build it I am convinced that this is the aircraft I want to fly. And I'm definitely going the quick build route. My intentions are to order the empennage and tool kit this week.

I'm open to any comments or suggestions??

What options do I need to be concerned with at this stage?

Which tool kit should I go with?

I'm leaning toward A/C if its feasible since its the summers here are so hot.

thanks
Brett

Welcome to the site!

Congrats on deciding to pull the trigger. That's the biggest step.

For toolkits, I did all kinds of research online about the pros and cons of different tool kits, and I was pretty convinced that if I really searched for the best deal on every tool, I could save some money. If I had done that, I'd still be building my toolkit.

In the end, I called Mike at Cleaveland Tools, told him what I was building, the kinds of tools I already had, and he made me a custom package at a great price. I had the tools a few days later, and I've been happy with that choice since.

Aside from the tools, have you ever riveted before? If not, I'd really recommend one or both of the practice kits that Van's sells. Mess us a bunch on those instead of your Vertical Stab!

During the empennage build, there aren't really many decisions that need to be made. You can just build per the plans. The only addition I might suggest is to add some conduit inside your vertical stab in case you ever decide to put something electrical on top of the VS, like a NAV antenna or a tail camera.

Finally, I can't help you on the AC question. I'm in Minnesota!

Last edited:
Great plane

You couldn't pick a better plane. I winter in Monticello GA and would be glad to connect up with you.

It also appears that your prime objective is to have a plane to fly as opposed to having a plane building hobby. You might consider buying a partially completed project. I know of one here in GA that is ready for the finish kit

Gary Specketer
770 four zero three. 3450

Welcome to VAF!

Brett,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

The 10 is a really great plane, you will enjoy it.

Welcome

Welcome Brett.
Lots of good advise. I only add one. Don't be shy about asking a question here.

When you get to parts where it is helpfull to have someone that has been-there-done-that, like the cabin top or doors, or if you just need a hand, feel free to give me a buzz. North side of atlanta, but a short 10 flight down.

Is your business acquaintance Wayne? He has a -10 based in Vidalia.

No. My acquaintance is Rod Parker from Virginia. I had another gentleman tell me this morning that Dr. Williams had an RV-10. He did my last medical and I remember him saying he a 172 but I didn't know he had a 10. I don't know him other than meeting him when I got my medical.

I'm open to any comments or suggestions??

Which tool kit should I go with?

Howdy! Congrats! I'm only a month or so ahead of you so take my advice with a grain of salt.

This is one heck of a fun project..

These are the tools I went with;

http://randomstringofwords.com/build-log/tools/

Most all of them I got from Avery with the exception of the DRDT2 which I got from Cleveland.

Both are great resources with good folks to help you. I went with expensive tools because I figure I can always sell expensive tools, hard to sell cheap tools no one wants. Plus I knwo myself well enough to know I'll likely build more than one plane.. =)

So far my biggest piece of advice would be concerning delivery of the empennage itself.

They shipped it via a giant truck, with no lift gate or anything. The shipper knew it was coming to a home address, but I guess they expected me to have a loading dock and a forklift handy... I didn't.

Thankfully the truck driver was nice enough to help me man handle the thing off their truck, into the back of mine and then up the hill to the house. No way he could have brought his giant semi-tractor trailer combination up to my house.

So be clear with whomever is shipping it that you're taking delivery to a residence OR better yet, rent a uhaul and go pick it up from them.. heh

Last edited:
Hey Brett, welcome!

Sun N Fun is coming up, and they have a bunch of workshops. Come down and spend some time learning how to rivet and use some of the tools. That will also give you a pretty good idea on what tools to get.

Just know one thing, the more you stick to the plans the faster you'll get it done. Every little modification takes time.

I have A/C in my plane. Bunch of work... and about 50lb and $5K+ extra.

Lenny

Hey Brett, welcome!

Sun N Fun is coming up, and they have a bunch of workshops. Come down and spend some time learning how to rivet and use some of the tools. That will also give you a pretty good idea on what tools to get.

Just know one thing, the more you stick to the plans the faster you'll get it done. Every little modification takes time.

I have A/C in my plane. Bunch of work... and about 50lb and $5K+ extra.

Lenny

thanks, Maybe I can make sun n fun but that right in the middle of when our onion season starts so it will be tough. thanks for the numbers on the a/c. I think it'll be worth that trade off!!!

Welcome Brett!

I went with the RV-10 tool kit from Isham Tools. It was cheap, comparatively. I ordered mine with a pneumatic squeezer, tungsten bucking bar, 90 deg drill and DRDT2 dimpler, plus extra clecoes! The only thing I regret, is that I didn't upgrade the main drill to a Sioux. Now the drill that came with, which is a cheap knockoff, is still working fine after 4 years of building. However, there simply is nothing like the little Sioux palm drill. Eventually, I purchased a used one of those too. Happy hunting.

Back