What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Highest Time RV-10 Project?

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
This is kind of a tongue-in-cheek corollary thread to Lucas' highest time RV-10 thread.

I'm at 8 years 7 months on my project -- builder number 40631. :eek: I placed my tailcone order back in Sep of 2006. Lot's of reasons why it's taken this long and I'll admit at this point I'm sick and tired of building, but the prize is near (finally)! :D

So any RV-10 builders out there in VAF land got me beat? ;)

Last edited:
Motivation

Todd

I to started along time a go. I got my Emp Kit summer of 2008 sn 40864.

What you need to do is find some one with a completed 10 and bum a ride and get some stick time. IE Motivation

I was very fortunate to meet a very talented builder in Concord Ca, His 10 is a piece of art. He flew up to the Nut Tree and was very interested in how my build was coming along. He reviewed all my work so far and shared alot of secrets and answered all of my questions.

We then went for a flight and I actually got some good stick time and my first landing in a 10. Man that did it for me. I am back to building and very glad for his motivation.

I can not thank him enough.

:)

The time does fly......

started July 2005.

3 kids along the way, marriage still intact, and hope to finish by fall!!

The time does fly......

started July 2005.

"Marriage still intact." Quite the accomplishment (and one of my top priorities as well), considering the kids and the build. Good job.

The time does fly......

started July 2005.

Phil,
Glad to see I'm not alone! :) For me, it was 2 deployments (Iraq & AFG), retirement from Active Duty, new job, changed jobs, took a whole year off from building between tailcone and wings just because, kit delays, and family stuff (2 kids doing different sports, Boy & Girl Scouts, vacations, etc, etc.). It all adds up. Also when I moved to the hangar (30 min from the house) my production dropped dramatically. Basically I figure I have about 3 1/2 years build time spread over the 8.5 calendar years (I stopped tracking build hours years ago). My wife, oddly enough, has been the one pushing me to get it done -- she's got some traveling to do! Also I should have mentioned above that I'm real close -- weeks at most. I've mailed my cert package off to my local FSDO (they have it as I sent it registered mail) and I'm now waiting to hear back from them to set up a date for the airworthiness inspection.

she did give a glare when I said I wanted to build an -8, since we won't all fit in the 10 now......

April 22, 2005

April 22nd will be my 10th year build anniversary. For lots of different reasons my build has been on hold since around 2007. I have been working on fitting doors for 8 years. Finally I am getting re-motivated to build. The project is dusted off and I have started back up, but I still have a long way to go. Hopefully in a month or so I will be ready to put it on its gear and mount the engine.

Larry
Builder #40356

Larry, the steps where you put the gear on go fast, it is a lot of fun after the fiberglass.

So any RV-10 builders out there in VAF land got me beat? ;)

Up until a month ago, I was at 11 years 4 months in my build. Serial number 40036. And yes, I ordered the week it became available at OSH in 2003. I'm now at 24 hours out of 40 for Phase 1.

10 years on quickbuild (sic)

If June 2005 delivery of a "quickbuild" kit doesn't doesn't take the honors, then it should at least warrant mention! Lots of reasons for taking so long, but the main ones are that I have a LOT of mods, a flying RV8, and am easily distracted. Also the primary reason I started the RV10 was for something to keep me entertained while I waited for the phone to ring (I'm a corporate pilot flying a G4, on call). I'm filling out the paper work now to fly. My goal is getting it in the air before June, so I don't have to call it an RV-11.
Chris Hukill
serial# 40429

Looks like a couple have me beat, but kit 40529 has been in progress since Jan 06. Let's do this again in a year, maybe I can take another crack at the title!:)

started in 2006

I'm SN: 40579 started in April 2006 and am hoping to wrap it up in under 10 years.

Seems life takes up more time than building for me sometimes. 2 kids, 2 house remodels, laid off in 2009 then started a business working for myself with some partners. I work from home and you know how the saying goes I get to choose which 12 hours a day I work :).

I've been wiring the panel now for 6 months. I think I'm finally ready to pull some wires :) Somewhat kidding but it seems the planning takes so long when you redo everything 3 times or more and waffle on every decision / deviation.

-Ben

Back