What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2800 lb GTOW

maca2790

I was talking with Albert Gardner when he visited us here in Oz two weeks ago. He told me that a few guys have upped the GTOW to 2800 lbs. My Authorised Person (he who does the C of A) said that he would consider it if there was some science to back up the increase.

Has anyone done some numbers for such an increase? Turbulence Penetration and other restrictions?

Cheers

John MacCallum
VH-DUU

The problem is that since the factory doesn't release their data, we aren't able to understand how over designed the RV-10.

I am aware of several individuals that have tested well above 2,800 to see the impact on cg and stalls. We can't determine the structural impact at these above gross weights while in turbulence. I'm not going to drop their names. They do read VAF, so they can step forward if they so choose.

The other unknown is what impact with these have if you have to settle an insurance claim. Technically, you're the manufacturer, so you can set to whatever you believe is appropriate. What will the underwriter do if they discover gross weight is different than the kit manufacturer recommends.

These are quite a few "if's". You'll have to make up your own mind if any are important to you.

John,
Here in the US we enjoy the privilege of deciding the GTOW and put whatever number we choose for maximum gross weight.
No one besides Van has done the numbers and Van would definitely not approve
Of such arbitrary plucked from the air increases in gross weight.
Many are increasing their gross weight on paper but I am certain no one has done the numbers.

i was one of those guys who initially had set my gross weight at 2800#. After some "constructive" articles and feedback, I reviewed my choices in my RV10. Insurance did come to mind and whether the underwriter would honor the claim with this change. I concluded that it wasn't worth it. Even with the increase fuel available (90 gallons max) on my RV 10, I have had no problems in staying within the specs set by Vans by setting total fuel to number of people on board to at or below the 2700# limit. My GTOW is set at 2700#. I normally fly with 60 gallons, but for long trips, increase fuel load upto the 90 gallon limit with my wife onboard.
For those wondering, I also changed out my front seat belts that I had initially installed. The thru the back seat shoulder harness has been removed and a new set of Crow seat and shoulder harness has replaced my old system attached per plans.
Still very happy with my RV10. Wouldn't leave home without it.
Greg...

Greg, interesting to hear about your seatbelt swap. I know you got a lot of "opinions" on that.

Not to steal the thread away, I'm planning on a very nice interior with A/C, etc, but will still have normal range tanks and set the weight per plans. Even if the airframe is a bit heavy, how often are you going to put four big people, bags, and need full fuel? I fly now with four average folks and by the time a three/four hour flight comes to an end, we are all ready to stretch our legs.

If you do decide to go higher, it is experimental aviation for a reason! Experiment (safely) so we can all learn something!

I would say only about 10% of my flights have more than 2 people in the airplane. A majority of my flying is solo. The purpose of the long range tanks was for the fuel prices. I normally fly IFR and most of my long range flying is from Tulsa to Jacksonville, Florida with my wife to see the grand kids. The leg lengths usually work out to 3 hours a piece with one stop in Meridian, MS (who has cheap gas). If you figure in a 45 minute reserve and a possibly alternate, I doubt if I could do this with one stop with normal fuel. When I went to Oshkosh this year by myself, I stopped in Kirksville, MO for gas and filled up to 90 gallons there. This allowed me to fly to Oshkosh, land with 60 gallons then fly back to another airport in Missouri for the cheaper fuel price. I only needed 60 gallons total as fuel prices in the Tulsa area are cheap at the smaller airports. On average between Tulsa and Jacksonville, I can save about 70 bucks for the entire flight in fuel savings. My GTOW on these flights are 2680#.
You will like the air conditioning. It is a life saver in Oklahoma.
Greg...

2800lbs

Thanks Guys for the responses. I think I will stay at 2700 lbs (1225 kg) but it very Interesting to see the differing points of view. I haven't installed Tip tanks so I only have the US 60 gallons (226 ltrs). I figure around 3.9 hrs with 45 mins reserve and the Mark 1 bladder probably wouldn't stand anymore than that anyway. Might look at Air-conditioning in the future but once you get to 6.5 or 8.5k feet things usually cool off alright even when it's 44 deg C on the Ground...
Thank you again all...
Cheers
John MacCallum
VH-DUU

Your choices

It all depends on how you want to fly. 75% best power mixture? Then the standard tanks are a little small. I hate to pay for gas, I'm happy to cruise at 160 KTAS on 10 gal/hr, and for that the standard tanks are plenty.

Some interesting numberes

Before Dan took down his site I happened to grab his W&B data to run some numbers.

Looking back on the list, there were 14 RV-10's listed, 10 had their GW set at 2700 lbs, two at 2800, one at 2850, and one at 2900 lbs.

One RV-6 had their GW set at 2100 lbs, 500 lbs over the recommended limit.

The next closest was an RV-8 with the GW set at 2270, 470 lbs over the recommendation.

One -7 was set 200 lbs over the 1800 lbs limit.

The -9 builders were the most conservative of the group. 13 were set at the 1750 GW, three were set 50 lbs over, and seven were set at 100 lbs over. None went higher than that.

That data was from 2008, so no 12's were listed.

Back