What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Composite Prop on RV-14A

sjarrell

Well Known Member
The Vans prop order form shows both the aluminum BA prop and the 2 blade composite prop for the 14A. However, for both it shows the IO360 engine but it doesn't mention the IO390.

I'm assuming that both of these props approved by Vans for the 14A with the IO390 as that is the recommended engine, but I'm confused as why the order form doesn't show it. Any idea?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Vans prop order form shows both the aluminum BA prop and the 2 blade composite prop for the 14A. However, for both it shows the IO360 engine but it doesn't mention the IO390.

I'm assuming that both of these props approved by Vans for the 14A with the IO390 as that is the recommended engine, but I'm confused as why the order form doesn't show it. Any idea?

Thanks!

That?s just Van?s being Van?s and not properly updating the form to specify the -390. Those are the correct props, so pick one and get it ordered! :)

Just look into potential w&b issues if you choose the composite prop.

Using a two blade composite prop probably creates a need to compensate in some manner to keep the great balance that the RV14 has with the standard prop.

Will do. Thanks!

I used the Hartzell composite prop without issue. It comes with a 3? hub extension (I think) to compensate for the reduced weight. It is a beautiful prop, too. :D

I used the Hartzell composite prop without issue. It comes with a 3? hub extension (I think) to compensate for the reduced weight. It is a beautiful prop, too. :D
It most certainly is a beautiful prop! Thanks for the input.

Steve

I used the Hartzell composite prop without issue. It comes with a 3? hub extension (I think) to compensate for the reduced weight.

Are you sure about the 3" extension? Seems you'd have to modify the cowl if you moved the prop forward...

Are you sure about the 3" extension? Seems you'd have to modify the cowl if you moved the prop forward...

Yes - An extended hub, not +3", but not stock either- - - and it requires the Hartzell spinner unless Vans has a new design. That allows the stock cowl and more sweep back room for that 9" cord blade. It only regulates down to 2300 RPM as the pitch sweep is limited by the factory setting. It hits the internal stop collar.

Edit: be sure to note that Hartell limits aerobatic load to less than 6 G's with the extended hub.

Last edited:

The Van's Hartzell prop order form here indicates that the G2YR/N7605W-2X extended hub 2 blade composite prop requires the special D-4798-P polished spinner.

Using a two blade composite prop probably creates a need to compensate in some manner to keep the great balance that the RV14 has with the standard prop.

I use the G2YR 2 blades composite prop on a RV14A. The empty CG is 1/2 inch behind the forward CG range limit. No problem (it has a n extended hub ...).

Another Hartzell Composite coming soon?

At OSH this year I spoke to Hartzell and inquired about the Raptor 3 bladed prop they have on their RV-8. My understanding is that it will be available through Vans at some point- no pricing or delivery info is available . . . I think it also uses a Van's spinner so no added $1500 cost - although that aluminum spinner is very nice. From their website:

https://hartzellprop.com/wp-content/uploads/vansl.pdf

At OSH this year I spoke to Hartzell and inquired about the Raptor 3 bladed prop they have on their RV-8. My understanding is that it will be available through Vans at some point- no pricing or delivery info is available . . . I think it also uses a Van's spinner so no added $1500 cost - although that aluminum spinner is very nice. From their website:

https://hartzellprop.com/wp-content/uploads/vansl.pdf

Wow.... that's a gorgeous prop! Thanks for the link and info!

3C1-R430A1X/76C03-2X2

Mark-

Any news or updates on this prop?

Is this prop is a viable option for the RV-14 TD?

Vans still evaluating

Last I heard was that Van's engineering was still looking at it . . . i'd like to hear more on this . . .

I fly with this great prop. No problem of W&B due the extended hub I suppose.

Mark-

Any news or updates on this prop?

Is this prop is a viable option for the RV-14 TD?

Vans told me a couple of days ago that the 3 blade composite Raptor prop will be available for the 14A in just a few days and should be on their website. Price with the spinner is supposed to be close to $20k.

Based on Hartzell's literature it doesn't look like the prop will work on a tail dragger.

For some reason I can't edit my previous post.... I should have said that according to Hartzell's literature the 74" prop isn't recommended for any tailwheel model except for the RV-8.

A 69" model is available for use with the Lycoming (I)O320 powered RV-3, 4, 9 and 9A models.

Raptor 3-Blade Composite Prop and Spinner Is Available!

The Raptor 3-blade composite prop and spinner is now available on the prop order form on Van's site. Click here.

Prop + spinner is $20,100.

Decisions...

The Raptor 3-blade composite prop and spinner is now available on the prop order form on Van's site. Click here.

Prop + spinner is $20,100.

Wow, not inexpensive! Compare this to the new 300 series Whirlwind at $12,500. Not sure if I can justify the $$ difference.

Has Vans done any performance testing with this new prop? Generally 3-blade props are slower than 2-blade in cruise. Paying 2.5x more than the 2-blade aluminum prop so you can go slower (and make it harder to remove and install the lower cowl) is a hard sell. Looks beautiful though!

Has Vans done any performance testing with this new prop? Generally 3-blade props are slower than 2-blade in cruise. Paying 2.5x more than the 2-blade aluminum prop so you can go slower (and make it harder to remove and install the lower cowl) is a hard sell. Looks beautiful though!

To me, this is like those $1500 Chevy or Cadi with the $4000 rims or stereo on it. Some people pay lots of $$$ just to look different.

Composite prop

The primary purpose of the extension is so the fat blades won?t hit the cowling
When the prop is pulled back. I put a lot of avionics in mine and the CG is perfect
With an empty operating weight of 1275. I have no regrets other than the expense.

Back