What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jackpoints fitting

Avengerboss

Well Known Member
I have seen talk and have had to help our RV8 locals address the close fit of the jackpot point mount.
Of course when your installing the mount as part of your build its not an issue but if your installing them on an already flying "8" a tolerance issue can happen.
Every builder does their wheel pants a bit different, some get the inboard aft wheel pant so close even the brake caliper will hit.
we did our testing for fit of our Jackpoint bracket on two flying RV8's, one with standard gear and one with Grove gear , we based all our clearances on those two planes knowing there will be slight variations.
After selling over a hundred sets to RV8 owners we did learn allot about the need for different bolt lengths due to shimming and direction the bolts go in because of wheel pant clearance,
About the mount itself having clearance issues has come up a few times and during a couple of our installations we were able to fix that simply by bonding a An970-3 flat washer to the inside of the two inboard aft wheel pant mount holes, just one or two of those was all that was needed to give clearance with minimal to no noticeable wheel pant distortion . I have added this process and washers to the kit, It will be from now on.
We really are trying to create the best product for our wonderful RV's and do not want to see our Jackpoints just sitting on the shelf as another purchase mistake.
Thanks for all your input and kind words about or Jackpoints.

My 2 cents-I?m living with the slight distortion but think the lift point should have a lip to keep it from sliding off a jack. I fashioned an ?J? bracket to use in place of the lift point.

PM me if your interested in pictures.

Back