What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 options I haven't thought about

mjanduda

Well Known Member
Hi Builders,

so it looks like I want to build a 14.
Everyone tells me I should build it according to plans and shouldn't do something special if I do not want to spend a decade to build the plane. The only special I can imagine are some nice seats, maybe a carpet and an additional servo for the rudder. All of this does not sound like hundreds of hours of work.
So what am I missing here?

What are those options I don't want to know about? :D

Best,
Malte

Hi Builders,

so it looks like I want to build a 14.
Everyone tells me I should build it according to plans and shouldn't do something special if I do not want to spend a decade to build the plane. The only special I can imagine are some nice seats, maybe a carpet and an additional servo for the rudder. All of this does not sound like hundreds of hours of work.
So what am I missing here?

What are those options I don't want to know about? :D

Best,
Malte

Most builders do carpet and nice seats, from vendors who advertise right here on VAF. I'm using Classic Aero (http://www.classicaerodesigns.com) for both - not cheap but VERY nice. One of my reasons for choosing them is that their seats have an integral frame that looks more "car-like". I am still going to build my seat frames (getting close to that point) so I can use them to sit in the airplane to work.

Classic Aero designed a nice change to the standard panel in the -14 that repositions the power charger and audio input to better fit a carpet piece there. I'll have to drill out a few rivets to install their version but that's a tiny percentage of the number I've already drilled out!

Check out their RV-14 page....

Other vendors have great stuff as well.

There are excellent seat suppliers available. I am sure that you would also be able to find quality upholsterers in Germany. Van?sdid a good job with the offset of the rudder and I did not ever feel the need for rudder trim. This is something that could be added to a flying aircraft if you felt the need.

ah yeah, I thought about building a custom panel with Garmin equipment.
Well, maybe I'll spend some time on avionics, but that's imho quite cool :D

There are excellent seat suppliers available. I am sure that you would also be able to find quality upholsterers in Germany. Van?sdid a good job with the offset of the rudder and I did not ever feel the need for rudder trim. This is something that could be added to a flying aircraft if you felt the need.

Yes, I'll go with 3rd party upholstery seats and carpets. I don't think I can do this better than them and honestly I don't have fun to spend lots of time here.

You're right. If at all the rudder servo will probably be a retrofit.

One activity that's worth your time is to see what others have done. There are so many blogs across the whole family of models that can be perused over the course of your build. From those, you can adopt, modify or discard the ideas of others according to your liking.

There are options that may have a structural consequence to consider. For example (not condoning the following, merely offering them for demonstrative purposes): Bigger engine or more fuel in wings. It's perhaps wise to think carefully through those kinds of modifications.

Then there are those options that can be downright fun. For example, designing a panel and wiring the aircraft was the most enjoyable part for me. It was at this stage that I could express a lot of personal creativity, give the aircraft more character and make it truly unique.

IMG_8906.JPG

I also had an emblem placed on my seats...

IMG_9293.JPG

Then there are all the little things, each of which contribute to the aircraft's overall character...

Capacitive fuel probes.
-Fabrication.
-Install on original & replacement tanks.
-Senders.

Heated AOA/pitot probe.
-Parts.
-Mounting - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7.

AveoMaxx Hercules 30 landing lights.
-Specs.
-Wiring.
-Mount fabrication.
-Panel control circuit.
-Nighttime examples.

Low fuel level optical sensors.
-Spec'ing.
-Installation.

Locking fuel caps.

USB power for canopy cameras.

Headset items
-Headset hangers.
-LEMO connectors.

Dual pitots.
-Pitot-static system design.

Quarter turn fasteners
-Upper cowl
-Oil door

Rudder fairings.

Aluminum vents.

Painting
-Landing light cavities.
-Rudder pedals.
-Interior.

Last edited:
@RV-14E
Love it!
I would build a different panel but that's what makes your plane your own!
I like the heated AoA pitot tube, the capacitive fuel sensor and LED landing lights. And I will definetly go with them!
The rest is quite nice but does not really create emotions on my side :)

Thanks a lot for your list!
Malte

Here's what I have decided on my -14A:

-Flyleds position/strobe lights LINK
-Flyleds Tail light LINK
-Dynon Quick Panel
-Control Approach Rudder Pedals (They have a 14 model) LINK
-Classic Aero Interior
-Aircraft Specialty Hose & Fuel line packages
-Delta Pop antenna's

Have fun!

Here are a couple customizations for consideration:
- canopy installation with sikaflex vs screws (research blogs - not trivial but very worth the effort)
- piano hinge attach of wing tips (functional and aesthetic improvement)
- cockpit lighting
- custom engine build may require custom exhaust and FWF and/or cowl modifications

Here are a couple customizations for consideration:
- canopy installation with sikaflex vs screws (research blogs - not trivial but very worth the effort)
- piano hinge attach of wing tips (functional and aesthetic improvement)
- cockpit lighting
- custom engine build may require custom exhaust and FWF and/or cowl modifications

If I were to do things over, I would try the wing tip piano hinge approach. It certainly looks cleaner.

Marvin did a nice job with it.

Back