What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light Weight Starter Options

p51dplt

Well Known Member
Ok guys, I tried to install a B&C starter on my angle valve IO-360 today and ran into a couple issues,
1. It was rubbing on the forward mounted fuel servo.
2. It was hitting the fiberglass intake snorkel going from the baffle to the servo.

My question is, are any of you using a Skytek lightweight starter? What model? Did you have any interference problems with either the fuel servo or snorkel?
My airplane is really close to the forward CG limit with fuel and just me in it and I would like to lighten up the nose as much as I can.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Brant,
I have an RV8 with an IO360A1B up front. I am using a Van's snorkel, and a Skytec 149NL. One of the tabs on the starter interfered with the snorkel, so I glassed in a dimple into the snorkel instead of cutting off the tab (which was for a different mount type)
I opted for the dimple so that I wouldnt void the Skytec warranty.
The snorkel needs work to fit anyway, so a little more glass wasnt a big deal.
My question is, are any of you using a Skytek lightweight starter? What model? Did you have interference problems with either the fuel servo or snorkel?
My airplane is really close to the forward CG limit with fuel and just me in it and I would like to lighten up the nose as much as I can.

Thanks,

Chris,
The are you using the long snorkel that goes from the the left front baffle in a modified S shape down to the servo? If you have a picture you could send me via email, that would help out a lot.
[email protected]
Thanks,

Brant,
I have an RV8 with an IO360A1B up front. I am using a Van's snorkel, and a Skytec 149NL. One of the tabs on the starter interfered with the snorkel, so I glassed in a dimple into the snorkel instead of cutting off the tab (which was for a different mount type)
I opted for the dimple so that I wouldnt void the Skytec warranty.
The snorkel needs work to fit anyway, so a little more glass wasnt a big deal.

Skytec LS

I use a Skytec LS which is 8.1 lbs. Came with the (Superior)engine. I don't have any photos but my memory is that I had to cut the snorkel and reglass round the starter to give clearance. Not a big deal!

The B and C one is 10.2 lbs - the shape doesn't look that different to the Skytec, so you might still need surgery on the snorkel. Also a quick calculation suggests that losing 2.1lbs from the starter will only move the C of G back by a fraction of an inch.

If your C of G is so far forward that its troublesome, dare I ask where the battery is? Other things you could think of are: do you need that big alternator at the front driven by a belt, rather than a little one at the back? If its a real big problem, how about a lightweight flywheel and sump from SkyDynamics? But that's lots of $$$!

Chris

Last edited:
Chris,
I have the original heavy weight starter on the front right now and had a B&C on the shelf so I gave it a try and it is a lot of work to get it to fit with the snorkel as I am not a glass guy. It was also hitting the servo. I would save almost 7-8 lbs if I can get a slight weight one on there. I have also considered going with a rear mounted alternator off the vacuum pump pad. I haven't considered a different sump yet, but that is certainly an option. I have a Skytek on my Pitts and if I could use it on the 8 and put the B&C on the Pitts I will. Just didn't have time to tear into both yesterday.
Thanks for the info,

I use a Skytec LS which is 8.1 lbs. Came with the (Superior)engine. I don't have any photos but my memory is that I had to cut the snorkel and reglass round the starter to give clearance. Not a big deal!

The B and C one is 10.2 lbs - the shape doesn't look that different to the Skytec, so you might still need surgery on the snorkel. Also a quick calculation suggests that losing 2.1lbs from the starter will only move the C of G back by a fraction of an inch.

If your C of G is so far forward that its troublesome, dare I ask where the battery is? Other things you could think of are: do you need that big alternator at the front driven by a belt, rather than a little one at the back? If its a real big problem, how about a lightweight flywheel and sump from SkyDynamics? But that's lots of $$$!

Chris

FYI the SkyDynamics sump has an expected delivery date if ordered today of 'We really have no idea'. They are having foundry problems.

On the matter of Sky-Tec starters, I have the 149-12LS and a PC680 battery. I find that my 9:1 low time IO-360 (still tight) is difficult to get past the first compression stroke unless it gets some rotational inertia (WW200RV prop).

I would be interested to know if anyone else has this issue and if the NL starter is better because it's geared lower. I have not yet checked sky techs troubleshooting yet, but with #2 cable I doubt that's a problem (battery is in rear).

Thoughts? Might help the initial poster if he considers Sky-Tec.

Don

Back