What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake leak

dweyant

Well Known Member
I am getting quite frustrated with my brake lines.

I had a heck of a time getting all of the leaks in the brake lines fixed when I was building the plane.

I thought I had all of them corrected, and nothing leaked for the first 80 hours of flight. However about a week ago I noticed a drop of brake fluid on the floor on the right side.

I've traced it to the 90 elbow fitting on the bottom of the right master cylinder on the right side.

How should I go about correcting this? I can try to get another turn on it, but that might not be possible. I can put some teflon tape on the threads, but I believe that is frowned on? What else?

Thanks,

-Dan

Are you using a teflon pipe sealant on the pipe threads? Locktite 567 works well. Make sure all the flares are well formed and not over tightened. Do not use a sealant on any flared or JIC type fittings.

Roberta

I've been using Loctite 567 lately on pipe threads with excellent results.

Dan---all of the above, but dont use teflon tape. Dont want to get any into the port side. If you can seal the threads and get another turn out of it, then do so.
Tom

I had one of the elbows on my passenger side pedals weep just a tiny bit of brake fluid. Not enough to drip on the carpet. I installed the elbows with the Loctite 567. At my annual I put a wrench on the elbow and tightened it just a tiny bit (limited by the position of the lines). So far it has stayed dry. The Loctite seems to stay somewhat tacky. At some point I'll do a complete brake system flush, so at that point I will try to get another full rotation on the elbow.

Back