What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AirVenture Enroute Weather

Man, sure looks at this point like great weather is not in the cards for us that are in the East/Southeast on Saturday!

I'm gonna head West a hundred miles, then hook a right.

That looks like a good plan. Already been working on that myself. I have done that in the past. I just hope I can get out from under the crud that may be hanging around Sat morning...

We'll know for sure by Thursday, but it looks our original plan which is to fly IFR to South-Central Indiana to spend the night with friends and head to OSH IFR Saturday morning is our best bet. We'll see how it shapes up over the next couple of days.

Trip to Osh

We left sunny, hot San Diego Monday in our 10 and hit big thunderstorms in the Rockies. Had to fly waaaaay south to go around , then it was a mess of thunderstorms thru Kansas..
We were hoping to get to Boston to visit relatives before heading into OSH this Sunday but for now we landed today at a great FBO in greenwood IND.
we are rethinking out attempt to Boston with that line of Storms there, so why not enjoy Indy!!! Downtown is really cool.

I've made the decision to cancel due to weather here in south Georgia and at KOSH.

My EAA member 1 week pass will be up for sale soon.

Educational

Very interesting and it transpires that many of the charts are available under the national weather service meteorological development lab tabs which underlay the top level NWS graphic weather map, useful links for X country weather assessment or snapshot. I learn something every day :D
Figs

Todd - thanks for continuing to post these updates. We're coming in from the north-east and the movement of this weather system will leave us with a potential to get in by segmenting our trip, overnighting in Sault Ste Marie to let the worst of it pass Friday night.

Really appreciate you sharing these links, and, of course, Scott doing these videos.

I am missing my daily briefing fix!

This weather seems to be gonna put a major damper on my Saturday plans and at this point it does not look much better for Sunday.

I am a get there early and leave on Thursday or Friday morning kind of Airventure participant....

What's everyone else from the South East planning at this point?

I am . close to calling an audible and making the drive. Such a shame since the rest of the week is looking good along with the return trip period.

Last edited:
What's everyone else from the South East planning at this point?

Over here in the Memphis area, I am flying up Sat morning and spending the night in Prairie Du Chien, WI and plan to fly into the show Sunday morning early. We'll see.

Wait what! No analysis today? :(

I have waited all day to watch the next installment only to login and see. . . Nada! Man real bummer. Well I guess I will go explore the WX maps on my own.

That looks like a good plan. Already been working on that myself. I have done that in the past. I just hope I can get out from under the crud that may be hanging around Sat morning...

Yeah, that. RV time equates to capability to go half way around the country to get where you want to go. Done that many times. "...3hr flight perfectly executed in 12hrs of flying... landing the destination.

Poke - prod - , stay safe, make wise decisions.

Man it really looks like the IFR conditions at Osh will stop VFR traffic in its tracks all the way thru maybe late Sunday likely Monday morning. Then the flood gates will open and it will be a mad house! :eek:

Back