What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pitot/static lines

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
hi all,
i have the 1/4'' o.d. poly lines for the lines and i also have metal fittings, 1/8npt to attach to the instruments. i would like so use the nylon 1/8'' dia. barbed type fittings in some places. will the barbs form a good enough seal being pushed into the relatively stiff poly? my wild guess is that they would be fine for this application.

Take a good look at your local big box building supply store (Lowes, etc) to see if they carry plastic push-on fittings with NPT threads that will be compatible with your 1/4" poly tubing. Some folks use these specialized aviation fittings for hooking up ice maker supply lines..... ;)

Take a good look at your local big box building supply store (Lowes, etc) to see if they carry plastic push-on fittings with NPT threads that will be compatible with your 1/4" poly tubing. Some folks use these specialized aviation fittings for hooking up ice maker supply lines..... ;)

And smear a little fuel lube on the outside of the tubing just before you mate it up - those O-ring seals do a great job sealing with water pressure in them but I've had a few minor leaks using them for pitot-static without any real pressure inside.

checked out lowes/menards and they have them but a trip to them takes most of the day for me. found many sites on the web. cheap and lightweight. thanks guys.

The barbs are fine. I used Tygon tubing. My only leak was the NPT side of a plastic fitting at the instrument. Kind of crappy threads if you look at them, with a mold seam across the threads. I went to metal for the barb-to-NPT fittings. No issues.

Don't recommend the cheap water fitting from HD/Lowes, I've replaced many. Barbs and rubber/silcone/pvc tubing works ok but don't try to push a poly or nylo line onto a barb, guaranteed to crack eventually, replaced many. Honestly I prefer nylo tube and nylo fittings whenever possible with siicone tube and barbs a close second.

Back