What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navigator Survey

What is the navigator of choice for new IFR panel installation

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

victor delta

I'm New Here
Help!!!!
It is close to crunch time to select (and pay for!!!!) the navigator for new IFR redundant instrument panel.
The cutout in the panel awaits this decision.
For those that have made the choice and may have had experience using any of these and/or pondered over the same question/issues, which make and model navigator would you recommend?

Garmin GTN 650
Avidyne IFD 440
Garmin GTN 750
Avidyne IFD 540
Other, please specify make and model

FWIW.....the following is the environment for the navigator
GRT EFIS screens + GRT MINI AP as backup
VAL NAV/COM boxes as backup to lose of selected navigator
PS Engineering audio panel
TRIG transponder for ADSB-OUT transmission w GRT 2020 compliant GPS for ADSB Out backup to navigator
Radenna Skyradar receiver for ADSB-IN
Infinity stick grip.

Thanks in advance for your help.
VD

I voted 650 as that's what I have tied to a 2-screen EFIS, but it kind of depends. If cost and space are no issue, or if the navigator will the primary/only moving map display then I'd go 750.

my choice

My choice was to upgrade my Garmin 530W to Avidyne IFD 540s. Nice unit that plays well with my GRT HXs.

I have the GTN-650 with dual SkyView EFIS displays in the RV-10 (flying 5 years). The GTN-650 is the only avionics component that has ever given me trouble. Three trips to Garmin in the first year, on my dime, has it working (two software patches and one board fix). That said, if you are using the GTN-650 with a good EFIS you will have a very capable system once you get past the clunky user interface. If you are looking to the GTN-650 for moving map, obstacle and terrain display, look elsewhere.

I recently reached out on this same subject for the new RV-8 project and have decided to go with the IFD 540. My review tells me this product is much more user friendly and the display is actually functional. Add to that and final price being about the same with the GTN-650 as the deal closer.

Carl

I flew a test flew a GTN650 in a friend's plane and chose to update my GNS530W to the Avidyne IFD540. My decision was partially due to the simpler upgrade, but I would make the same decision if I was starting from scratch. I like that with the Avidyne unit you can do pretty much all operations with either buttons/knobs or with the touchscreen. I use the buttons and knobs when its bumpy.

Guy

750 all the way !!!!

There are many things to like about the 750 . For me the 2 big items are:
1. A map that is VERY useable. I refer to the map on my 750 as much as the one on my 10" G3X. It great to have them both.

2. Data entry much easier on the 750. A bit like the difference between using a 430 & 530 but even more so.

I have the GTN-650 with dual SkyView EFIS displays in the RV-10 (flying 5 years). The GTN-650 is the only avionics component that has ever given me trouble. Three trips to Garmin in the first year, on my dime, has it working (two software patches and one board fix). That said, if you are using the GTN-650 with a good EFIS you will have a very capable system once you get past the clunky user interface. If you are looking to the GTN-650 for moving map, obstacle and terrain display, look elsewhere.

I recently reached out on this same subject for the new RV-8 project and have decided to go with the IFD 540. My review tells me this product is much more user friendly and the display is actually functional. Add to that and final price being about the same with the GTN-650 as the deal closer.

Carl

My experiences with my GTN650 are similar to Carl's. If I had to purchase again, I would probably buy a IFD540.

Back