What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hearing aids and audio panels

JDanno

Well Known Member
Some of the newer hearing aids feature BlueTooth capability usually in conjunction with an iPhone, iPad, etc.
Anybody have experience running BlueTooth from the hearing aid to the audio panel with BlueTooth capability? How well did it work?

I am looking into hearing aids now and what I have found is that they are usually not worn or turned on while flying due to interference with ANR headsets? Am I misinformed? Trying to figure all this out before I spend the big bucks. Larry

I remove mine with when using my ANR headsets, I can hear fine with headsets only.
The cockpit noise would be to overwhelming to try to use hearing aids without headsets.

Last edited:
Hearing aids

Mine are used for a specific frequency range such that in a loud room a female voice gets lost or a guy with a soft voice.

I fly with lightspeed ANR headsets and i have flown with them(hearing aids) and with out them.

When i first put the headset on the hearing aids chirp wondering what is going on? After that they settle in and do their job. These are high end Hearing aids at about 5K a pair.

In my case as long as i have my ANR lightspeed headset i have no problem with ATC instruction so often i take them out.

Hearing

I have profound hearing loss in the high frequency range and wear two aides with ear molds so the volume can be turned up without feedback.
I get by.
FYI I bought the 5 to 8K aides for 3K at Costco and am very happy with the aides and service.
I connect my aides to my cell phone via Blue Tooth. From my research, the hearing aides are two steps behind normal technology. Sad to say. I feel sure if BOSE engineers would work with the hearing aid companies we could have awesome hearing aids.
The aids cannot connect directly to any device without an adapter of some sort. My aides are Bernafon and the blue tooth adapter is called SoundGate. Other brands do the same thing and call their devices by different names.
The Soundgate will connect to my cellphone.
The Soundgate will connect to my TV via an audio/Bluetooth adapter that sits on the TV.
The Soundgate also has an Auxiliary input jack 3.5mm. This is a CORDED connection. This will let you connect almost any audio output into your hearing aids. Like an IPod, computer sound, I even installed an audio out jack in my pickup truck. I have an adapter cord in the airplane that converts the headset jack to a 3.5mm Plug and wear the aides under a headset. This way the airplane audio is piped directly into my hearing aids. The main drawback to heavy use of the SoundGate is that it is battery operated and an internal battery at that. The more use it gets, the shorter the lifespan of the battery charge.
So back to the OP question of the audio panel, you could connect the audio out of the audio panel to the Soundgate via the cord. But to my knowledge, the hearing aids will not directly connect?.YET I say yet because the hearing aid technology changes all the time. Also, at this year?s Sun and Fun I spoke to PS Engineering and they were aware of this issue and are working on it!
Remember I have profound hearing loss, not the normal old age hearing loss, so many of the above comments about removing aides and using the headset as your hearing aides are correct.
Lightspeeds fairly new headset called the PFX is what I use and use it without the aides. The PFX has features that are often overlooked by normal users and therefore not discussed much. They have a feature that lets you increase the volume of the frequencies of the human voice without increasing all the others. They also allow me to adjust the bass and treble too. These feature / adjustments can be set as a user setting and no need to adjust each time I fly. So far this works for me.
If anyone knows about newer technology or something different, I am all ears, pun intended.  I am posting this in an effect to help others as I have learned a lot through research and trial and error. Good Luck.

It might depend on your hearing loss and how the aids are tuned to augment only certain frequencies, not replace them all. I have a little difficulty hearing the phone through them when there is noise around. A fully sealed headset to the phone is better than the BT connection through my aids. I have not tried them in a plane. Also the microphones pickup my voice and connect to the iPhone via BT. This would not be working in a plane, too much ambient noise. :eek:

Good luck, if you try them, let us know what you find.

When I was in to see my audiologist recently they used a blue tooth connection from my Seimens aids to their desktop to adjust frequency boost.

I have never tried to pair my aids to my panel, because they work so well under my Lightspeeds. I will check it out next flight.

My Resound hearing aides connect via bluetooth directly to my iPhone without any other device. I can adjust the volume and select different hearing programs from my phone. When talking on the phone or listening to music the sound can be sent through the aides, although listening to music really eats up the batteries.

I wondered if I could connect to my PSEngineering panel but based on previous posts it doesn't seem so.

Resound

My Resound hearing aides connect via bluetooth directly to my iPhone without any other device. I can adjust the volume and select different hearing programs from my phone. When talking on the phone or listening to music the sound can be sent through the aides, although listening to music really eats up the batteries.

I wondered if I could connect to my PSEngineering panel but based on previous posts it doesn't seem so.

Scott,
Did you install an APP on your IPhone to do this?
If so, the App has turned your IPhone into a devise like my Soundgate from Bernafon. How do you or can you connect to your TV? or auxiliary devise's?
Thanks for your input!

I too have profound hearing loss, its a daily challenge. So far the best solution I have found for flying is no hearing aids and the original Lightspeed Zulu 1 or the Sierra 1, and just turn up the volume.

Yes there are air traffic controllers with voices that are difficult to understand on aircraft radios, but they did prior to my hearing loss too.

(My hearing loss was antibiotics induced so it took less than a week to go from normal to profound hearing loss.)

You are right, the app is acting like your Soundgate. I thought they would just connect so as a test I turned off my phone, restarted the aides and tried to connect to my iPad (no app installed.) No joy. The iPad didn't even discover them.

I too have profound hearing loss, its a daily challenge. So far the best solution I have found for flying is no hearing aids and the original Lightspeed Zulu 1 or the Sierra 1, and just turn up the volume.

Yes there are air traffic controllers with voices that are difficult to understand on aircraft radios, but they did prior to my hearing loss too.

(My hearing loss was antibiotics induced so it took less than a week to go from normal to profound hearing loss.)

Brian,
Sorry to hear about your antibiotic induced hearing loss.
But it got me to thinking my loss happened while I was being treated for a bad head cold/sinus/fluid in ear issue....once the symptoms went away the hearing did not come back. I searched google about it after your post and I was not on the called out antibiotics, but who knows...my ear doctor never mentioned the possibility???? Thanks for sharing.
You might try the Lightspeed PFX...borrow or demo...you will need a IPhone or IPod with the Lightspeed app to control the cool features, see their website.
Best of Luck....

Connect

You are right, the app is acting like your Soundgate. I thought they would just connect so as a test I turned off my phone, restarted the aides and tried to connect to my iPad (no app installed.) No joy. The iPad didn't even discover them.

Scott,...and original poster...
Imagine if PS Engineering did come up with a BT enabled intercom or audio panel that would link up to our hearing aides under the headsets....
Panel powered so no battery issues. No extra wires...
Seems to me if Resound can link to IPhone with an App....
and Bernafon uses a 3party devise (sound gate)....they should be able to do it.
I would buy it!!!

I fly with two Phonak CIC hearing aids and they work fine with my Zulu 2s. I can also hear just about as well when flying w/o the Phonaks and just the Zulu 2s. As such, there is no reason for me to try the Bluetooth thing.
Most of my flying is with the Phonaks, however, because I forget to take them out before launching. :eek:

I fly with two Phonak CIC hearing aids and they work fine with my Zulu 2s. I can also hear just about as well when flying w/o the Phonaks and just the Zulu 2s. As such, there is no reason for me to try the Bluetooth thing.
Most of my flying is with the Phonaks, however, because I forget to take them out before launching. :eek:

Terry,
I am happy for you, that you have a solution that works for you. This a good point to make that if you can use the CIC aid....it works well under the headsets!
For others following this thread. CIC is completely in the ear canal.
From what I understand, this small devise is only for mild hearing loss because the size limits the amount of room for electronics and also the proximity of the speaker to the microphone can create feedback in higher power/volume applications.
So, we that have profound hearing loss have to use the behind the ear units to get more power and separate the mic from the speaker. On the over the ear units, the mic is located there and the ear cup is very close to it and with the ear cup directing the sound at the ear canal, well, we lose some benefit of both the aid and the headset. This is why we could benefit from Bluetooth streaming the sound directly into our over the ear hearing aids while under the cup of the headset. Obviously removing the hearing aid mic from the system.

PS Engineering's PS Streamer

We have just begun shipping the new PMA8000G and the PMA450A, both supporting the optional PS Streamer.

The PS Streamer streams, via Bluetooth, all audio that the pilot goes to the pilot's headset. It pairs to all sorts of dongles as well as GoPro cameras.

The really great thing is that the pilot is able to adjust the volume of the streaming audio!

While we have not had any direct experience with a pilot using it to pair to his hearing aid, we would be glad to send as a loaner, the PMA8000G with the PS Steamer installed if that pilot already has installed the GMA340. It is a plug n play with the GARMIN audio panel.

If you qualify, please let me know and we will get started.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Thank You

We have just begun shipping the new PMA8000G and the PMA450A, both supporting the optional PS Streamer.

The PS Streamer streams, via Bluetooth, all audio that the pilot goes to the pilot's headset. It pairs to all sorts of dongles as well as GoPro cameras.

The really great thing is that the pilot is able to adjust the volume of the streaming audio!

While we have not had any direct experience with a pilot using it to pair to his hearing aid, we would be glad to send as a loaner, the PMA8000G with the PS Steamer installed if that pilot already has installed the GMA340. It is a plug n play with the GARMIN audio panel.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering
Mark, Thanks for jumping in on the thread.
I did not see any explanation of how this works on your site and you did say it is new so I will ask here for all to learn from, as I am learning as well. There may still be some unknowns as this is evolving technology.
Optional PS Streamer: It pairs with all sorts of dongles. ??? I have googled dongles and still don't know exactly what it connects to.
Ok, I have Bernafon Aids and a third party Soundgate with Bernafon label. I am assuming my Soundgate is a dongle.
Resound aids can use a APP on a Iphone to convert their phones to a dongle?

I would like a direct connection from the audio panel or intercom to the aids themselves. Clearly there will need to be some electronics to do this, maybe the PS Streamer?...but I doubt it.

My audiologist has to pair my Soundgate to my hearing aids. I can not "pair" it myself. This is a hard wired temporary connection while pairing.
I have read threads that other brands might pair via Bluetooth and gives me hope that at some point we may be able to pair directly to the source. But I am thinking this might be proprietary coding at this point in time.

I welcome your comments.
Thanks

I have an Octicon streamer that works pretty well with my hearing aid. The issue I see is that there is no way my hearing aid alone would keep enough noise OUT of my ear to make in-airplane streaming work as well as removing it completely and using over-the-ear ANR headsets.

aids

I have an Octicon streamer that works pretty well with my hearing aid. The issue I see is that there is no way my hearing aid alone would keep enough noise OUT of my ear to make in-airplane streaming work as well as removing it completely and using over-the-ear ANR headsets.
I too am getting by with removing my aids and using the Lightspeed PFX and the extra features it provides. I also stream my home TV and I hard wire the radio in my truck as well.
I and others are hoping for a direct stream from the Audio panel or intercom direct to the aids while wearing a headset. Most likely with the hearing aids mic turned off. Then (hopefully) the sound might be improved/enhanced by the hearing aid that is programmed for our specific type of loss.

I have hardwired the headset jack output into my streamer (soundgate) auxiliary input and it works well, but is very power demanding and quickly uses up the internal battery. Plus it is one more devise and cord in the connection to the radio. That said, the streamer, ps streamer is a device but would be built in and internally powered.

I called PS Engineering today and they said that the PMA 450A and the PMA 8000G would Bluetooth directly to Bluetooth compatible hearing aids. You do have to install the streaming board option with these audio panels.
I would guess that you would have to use a noise cancelling headset maybe just a shooters headset and a mike separate from the aids.

Blue Tooth

I called PS Engineering today and they said that the PMA 450A and the PMA 8000G would Bluetooth directly to Bluetooth compatible hearing aids. You do have to install the streaming board option with these audio panels.
I would guess that you would have to use a noise cancelling headset maybe just a shooters headset and a mike separate from the aids.

Dan,
Good Call.
No reason not to use a normal aviation headset, quieter the better.

For the Bluetooth connection....not 100% sure. I also called PS Engineering tech support after your post and talked to Greg. (nice guy BTW).
They know we can connect to the hearing aids through our dongles. Meaning
for Resound Aids(are actually BT) that use IPhone App for their connection and my Bernafon Aid(not BT) with a Soundgate dongle.
They are not 100% sure their streamer will connect directly (pair) with the aids and bypass the dongle. Bypassing the dongle would be great as it would remove another unit out of the mix and another battery. This at least appears possible with the Resound Aids because they are actually BT. Issue is whether the Resound aid and the PS Streamer will "discover" each other(pair). They need someone to try this for them. Or maybe I will call Resound tech support...
I know this is pretty technical and not very easy to follow unless you have hearing aids that connect to something.
The good news is they are talking about it and trying to figure it out. Even to a point of offering to send demo units out to try.

So kudos to PS Engineering for addressing this issue for us hearing impaired!

I can test the PS Engineering 200A audio panel when it comes back from Stein. They are doing my wiring harness. The 200A has BT incorporated, but I do not know if it will pair with my ReSound aides.

It will be a couple of weeks before I can perform the test. The avionics need to come back I need to install them.

It's just the two PS models I mention that work. He said the the others like my 9000X with BT wouldn't work with an aid directly.

Need the BT Streamer

From Mark at PS Engineering:

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering
-----------------------
Dan is correct, see above. You might consider upgrading!!!

PS Streamer

Mark, Thanks for jumping in on the thread.
I did not see any explanation of how this works on your site and you did say it is new so I will ask here for all to learn from, as I am learning as well. There may still be some unknowns as this is evolving technology.
Optional PS Streamer: It pairs with all sorts of dongles. ??? I have googled dongles and still don't know exactly what it connects to.
Ok, I have Bernafon Aids and a third party Soundgate with Bernafon label. I am assuming my Soundgate is a dongle.
Resound aids can use a APP on a Iphone to convert their phones to a dongle?

I would like a direct connection from the audio panel or intercom to the aids themselves. Clearly there will need to be some electronics to do this, maybe the PS Streamer?...but I doubt it.

My audiologist has to pair my Soundgate to my hearing aids. I can not "pair" it myself. This is a hard wired temporary connection while pairing.
I have read threads that other brands might pair via Bluetooth and gives me hope that at some point we may be able to pair directly to the source. But I am thinking this might be proprietary coding at this point in time.

I welcome your comments.
Thanks

Hi Bob, sorry for the late response.

The PS Streamer will stream either everything that the pilot hears in his headset or the pilot can configure to stream only the selected radio communications.

It will stream with any dongle that is designed to record streaming audio. It will also stream to the GoPro Hero 4 with the SENA GP-10 Bluetooth dongle. While we have not tested the GARMIN Virbe, unless they decided to do something on their own, the Bluetooth profile if used, will also work.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Back