What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Family first flight after phase I

gorbak

Well Known Member
My Daughter Raili and grandsons Drake and Preston have been impatiently waiting to fly in the plane that took me 9.5 years to complete. After a nice flight out to Dodge City with Todd in the morning, we landed at Jabara Airport (where cargo plane mistakenly landed instead of at McConnell AFB) since it was convenient to their home and much easier to move about to plane and de-plane. Winds were mild for Wichita at 14 knots but mostly down the runway.
Smooth as glass once we got to 4000'.
Daughter Raili a little nervous about a small plane.
3583n6p.jpg
[/IMG]

I offered her the helmet but she did not want to mess up her hair (like 14 knot wind won't do that?).
33elohg.jpg
[/IMG]

Grandsons Drake and Preston were all over the opportunity to wear grandpa's helmet.
5y5cpd.jpg
[/IMG]
i4lkw8.jpg
[/IMG]

And Drake could not pass up a selfie so he could brag at school.
2rxfarr.jpg
[/IMG]

Took each for about 20 minute flight with fun by all. Family time. Get off the ground and all electronic gear is forgotten, except the cell phone selfies.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A N942PT

Dues paid.

Congrats! Can't wait till I can do this with my kids (in 5 years). I like the old timey touches in the photos.

this made day

great shots! you probably just sparked a flame in another young pilot from the Plains.

Go Shockers..... next year.

Thank you.

Thank you all for the kind words. I try to introduce and encourage all youth to the love of flight. Thru Civil Air Patrol in Houston, our group attempt to fly over 300 youth a year for introductory flight in the Cadet program. All we can do is give them the taste.
Flying something built in a garage, basement and living rooms is an awesome adventure that is nearly indescribable until you have walked in the path of those before us.
If the grandchildren wish to fly then great and if not then I at least gave them a taste so they can decide on their own.

Let's go fly.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A N942PT

Back