What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly DPE in Colorado?

punkin

Well Known Member
Hello,
Since I've struck out a few times with phone calls, "I don't do checkrides in experimentals," I thought I'd put it to the community... both of the folks my instructor would have liked me to do my checkride with have retired. Generally, he doesn't do primary instruction, or hasn't in MANY years, so he's a little out of the DPE "who's out there" loop.

I'm north of Denver, but willing to travel. Left a voicemail for Jean Tucker last week (out of Lamar)...struck out with a few others.

I'd love input, if someone knows one, and even better if you have first-hand experience with that individual!

Thanks so much!

Check with Drew Chitia at KAPA. Sorry I can't give you a phone number because I am out of town.

If you're willing to travel as far as Northern New Mexico, Geoff Veneklasen in Santa Fe is a DPE and an RV pilot. I did my instrument checkride with him and my wife did her PPL with him. Neither of those flights was in an RV, but I suspect Geoff would be willing.

Guy

Any others?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips. I may look into the New Mexico angle, might make a fun memory!

I'm also open to others... Anyone have any direct experience with mr. Chitia? I've heard his name but no pro/con...

Thanks!

Not sure it helps - I did my multi-engine rating with Drew out of KAPA 15 years ago. Really nice genuine guy.

Robert

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips. I may look into the New Mexico angle, might make a fun memory!

I'm also open to others... Anyone have any direct experience with mr. Chitia? I've heard his name but no pro/con...

Thanks!

Drew is a nice guy; thorough and fair. If you are looking for someone who will let you slide by, he is not your man. No offence intended.

Drew is a nice guy; thorough and fair. If you are looking for someone who will let you slide by, he is not your man. No offence intended.

Not looking for easy, just past the point in my life of unnecessary hazing or listening to self-aggrandizing comments of the guy (or gal) who knows it all and everyone else except them is dumb. Thankfully, I haven't run into to terribly many of those types yet, but I don't want to fail to do my due diligence and walk right into an avoidable bad deal...

Thanks!

Geoff in Santa Fe is all about making the checkride a learning experience. Everyone I know that has flown with him not only felt that he was fair and thorough, but that they were enriched by the experience.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it might just be easier and less time consuming to rent something for your checkride. Good luck with your ride in any event!

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it might just be easier and less time consuming to rent something for your checkride. Good luck with your ride in any event!

You're right! Take your practical and logical advice somewhere else! :)

Seriously, that is an option, but that means learning a whole new airplane. Maybe it makes the most sense, I dunno. I've got (long story) about 90 hours in tailwheel planes and haven't flow a tricycle gear plane in over 20 years, and those were my very first student hours...

Trying...

Phone calls and emails exchanged with Geoffrey, email sent to Mr. Chitiea. Thanks for the tips. If anyone comes up with anyone else, I'm open.

SW Kansas? NW Oklahoma? Nebraska?

Thanks!

Plus one for Drew

Hi Scott,

I took my PPL with Drew Chitea. I took the test in an LSA, not an experimental, so I can't comment on that part of your question. I found Drew very fair and reasonable. I felt like he really cared if I knew what I was supposed to, and realized we are all human.

I remember I was really nervous on the short landings part of the PPL. I kept going around, since my speed was a little high, and I did not think I was going to meet the standards. When I finally went ahead and committed and passed the short field landing he said, "That was fine, I don't need to test a go around, I think you know how to do that."

Great guy. Highly recommended.

Geoff

Geoff in Santa Fe is all about making the checkride a learning experience. Everyone I know that has flown with him not only felt that he was fair and thorough, but that they were enriched by the experience.

Had a GREAT conversation with him on the phone yesterday. It would look like we have a connection and a partial plan for moving forward. He sounds like a great person to work with!

Thank you very much for the referral!

Back