What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting elevator trim tab spar

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
Open to suggestions on how to rivet the lower elevator trim tab skin to the spar, given that the holes are "inside" the trim tab. :confused:

To anyone reading this in the future . . .

. . . I was at least smart enough to figure out the horns can be riveted in place prior to putting the spar in place using a no-hole 4 inch yoke.

I may just me, but it seems like the trim tab skins have to take a lot of flexing during the construction process.

Jeff,

When I did the trim tab, I misread the rivet legend and thought it was blind rivets so I went ahead and pro-sealed the ribs in --whoops. One call to Van's though and they said CS4-4 blind rivets would be fine. You'll have to enlarge the holes to #30 and adjust the dimple accordingly, but that will save your wrist from trying to get inside that tiny trim tab.

Dan,

Thanks. I started to do this same thing (ribs before spar) and somehow caught myself.

It was a pain in the kiester, and I had to get a little creative with the lone rivet outboard to the horns, but I was able to set the rivets with a longeron yoke.

The trim tabs are safely tucked away for the ribs to set.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Back