What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing kit order

daviid

Well Known Member
i sent in my order for the wing kit today. I opted for a standard build with the aileron trim and fuel senders. i plan on ordering the duct works led kit. is there any other options I should be looking at while I wait? i am highly interested in having capacitance fuel senders, but their current inability to work on multiple fuels leads me shy of them.

Some things to consider for wings:
Heated Pitot/Non Heated Pitot
Gretz mount for pitot
SafeAir tubing
Bob Archer VOR antenna

You could also start building your wing stand while you wait :)

Make sure to plan how you're going to run wiring thru the wing. I ran a pair of conduits out to the wingtip to accommodate pretty much any future runs I may need for antennas, power, sensors, etc.

The autopilot servo mounts will also be easier to install before the bottom skin is installed.

Caps

David,

The cap senders would work with any fuel you use, but you'd have to re-calibrate them. However, I think is done using the EFIS system (i.e. drain, fill in increments, marking fill levels as you go using the software, etc). I would think it wouldn't be a big deal unless you wanted to run Fuel X on Monday and Fuel Y on Tuesday..

thank you everybody. i have a few more questions!

Some things to consider for wings:
Heated Pitot/Non Heated Pitot
Gretz mount for pitot
SafeAir tubing
Bob Archer VOR antenna

You could also start building your wing stand while you wait :)

Definitely going heated Pitot. But any insight on the Pitots with AOA? I ordered CAT Static Port, but I am going to go with the rest of the SafeAir kit.

Make sure to plan how you're going to run wiring thru the wing. I ran a pair of conduits out to the wingtip to accommodate pretty much any future runs I may need for antennas, power, sensors, etc.

The autopilot servo mounts will also be easier to install before the bottom skin is installed.

as far as conduits go, are you using plenum rated? what size diameter would you recommend?

how hard is it to get the servo in afterwords?

David,
The cap senders would work with any fuel you use, but you'd have to re-calibrate them. However, I think is done using the EFIS system (i.e. drain, fill in increments, marking fill levels as you go using the software, etc). I would think it wouldn't be a big deal unless you wanted to run Fuel X on Monday and Fuel Y on Tuesday..

i think i am going to cancel the fuel senders and go capacitance after all. you did bring up a valid point i never thought about. after reviewing several builder sites. I noticed two different style capacitance setups. 1 is 2 metal plates with stand offs, and the other is a long skinny probe type. is there pros & cons to each of these?

thank you everybody. i have a few more questions!

Definitely going heated Pitot. But any insight on the Pitots with AOA? I ordered CAT Static Port, but I am going to go with the rest of the SafeAir kit.

as far as conduits go, are you using plenum rated? what size diameter would you recommend?

how hard is it to get the servo in afterwords?

i think i am going to cancel the fuel senders and go capacitance after all. you did bring up a valid point i never thought about. after reviewing several builder sites. I noticed two different style capacitance setups. 1 is 2 metal plates with stand offs, and the other is a long skinny probe type. is there pros & cons to each of these?

What EFIS are you leaning towards? Some have a preference for the AOA configuration.

Plenum rated would definitely be preferred. That's what I used on some larger conduit runs going through the rear seat area. In the wings, I used the 3/4" conduit that vans sells.

Installing the servo afterword isn't a big deal. I installed mine, then took it back out to rivet the bottom skin on. You'll need the room to get a hand through there.

I can't help you on the capacitance probes.

My take on Cap Senders..

The (2) plate variety requires that all connections are done very well (you don't want leaky BNC connections or loose wire terminals). However, if installed correctly they are cheap and accurate.

The tube within a tube variety work in the same manner (capacitance is measured between the walls of the inner tube and outer tube), except they must be bent to fit in the tank. In my opinion, the level of install work seemed to be a bit higher using the 2 plates, since you can buy the tubes pre-bent. However, the tubes don't seem to cover as wide a range from full to empty, so I would have to believe they aren't much more accurate that a float across the spectrum of readings.

If installed correctly, I believe any system can be very reliable. It's just a matter of how you wish to measure: If you don't care "how full is full" and are only worried about "how close to empty," then floats are probably sufficient.

The tube within a tube variety work in the same manner (capacitance is measured between the walls of the inner tube and outer tube), except they must be bent to fit in the tank. ... However, the tubes don't seem to cover as wide a range from full to empty, so I would have to believe they aren't much more accurate that a float across the spectrum of readings.

Actually you can buy probes from Princeton long enough to span the whole tank, in which case you'll measure empty to full very accurately. In my case, I bought them long enough to span two bays. The install was not nearly as hard as I feared it would be, though I did do some unnecessary computations (which was kind of fun).

The process documented:
http://airplane.athomeinthewilburness.com/2012/07/29/capacitive-fuel-probes/

What EFIS are you leaning towards? Some have a preference for the AOA configuration.

Plenum rated would definitely be preferred. That's what I used on some larger conduit runs going through the rear seat area. In the wings, I used the 3/4" conduit that vans sells.

Installing the servo afterword isn't a big deal. I installed mine, then took it back out to rivet the bottom skin on. You'll need the room to get a hand through there.

I can't help you on the capacitance probes.

definitely leaning towards Dynon at this point in time. not having to install the servos makes my wallet a tid bit happier for now

The (2) plate variety requires that all connections are done very well (you don't want leaky BNC connections or loose wire terminals). However, if installed correctly they are cheap and accurate.

The tube within a tube variety work in the same manner (capacitance is measured between the walls of the inner tube and outer tube), except they must be bent to fit in the tank. In my opinion, the level of install work seemed to be a bit higher using the 2 plates, since you can buy the tubes pre-bent. However, the tubes don't seem to cover as wide a range from full to empty, so I would have to believe they aren't much more accurate that a float across the spectrum of readings.

If installed correctly, I believe any system can be very reliable. It's just a matter of how you wish to measure: If you don't care "how full is full" and are only worried about "how close to empty," then floats are probably sufficient.

thank you sir!

Back